z

Young Writers Society

help me please

Reviews: 0
Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:32 pm
TheRiddle says...

okay let me begin with explaining that i,m a dutch guy. so my english is far from perfect and i,m a Adhd-er :P so i,m typing without reading this .... so i make mistakes haha

my question is if there is any one out there who wants to help me create characters for the book that i,m writing... its a fiction book with magic and stuff ,,, i,m still in a beginers fase but beside the main character i,m kinda blank on the whole persons who are involved in the book haha ,,,, also if there are persons who want to help with any information on fighting sports , like swordfighting ,,,or any other type of fighting id apreciate that .. sinds its hard for me translating it and trying to understand it ad the same time haha

lets keep in touch...

i,m also a student so i will be bussy with school starting next month so .... 8)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:18 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

The only way to develop your characters and world is to write in that world, with that character.

While we can help you by asking how your character would react in any given situation, you can do that yourself rather easily by just putting your characters in various situations and wondering who they'd meet there. You have to write out their reactions anyway, seeing as they are your characters.

That's it. That's character development.

Other questions to ask yourself:

- Character class and the expectations of it
- How wealthy they are
- Key backstory events (realizations, traumas)
- What they did day in and day out growing up
- Responsibilities (if any)
- How they interacted with the world around them
- Who they would've met/been close to and how those people influenced them.
- How do they handle anger
- Stress
- Sadness/sad news
- Surprises (good/bad)
- Happiness
- What would they do if confronted with [item]?

Answer those questions and you'll have the beginning of a character. Continue writing out the character's story and you'll develop them farther.

It takes many drafts to plan out good characters, and you are the only one who can truly develop them. Like I said above, we can help by giving you various situations and prompts, but it's up to you to write out the reactions to those prompts because they're, well, your characters.

As for things like fighting, that needs a few questions as well. Such as:

- Culture this is based on ("traditional fantasy" doesn't really help. What part of Europe, Asia, or the Americas is it based on?)
- If you're looking for battlefield skills or exhibition skills
- The type of sword you're looking at
- Other weapons/lack thereof you're looking at

--

Bottom line is, while we can point you in the general right direction, it's up to you to do the basics. Your English will improve the more you read and translate. Your characters will improve the more you write their stories and put them in different situations. Your world will develop as you ask yourself who the primary characters will interact with and how those people would behave.

You will learn nothing of the basics if we do all your work for you. You have to know what you're looking for when it comes to research in more depth, and you have to come up with characters on your own. Characters are the one constant in writing, and they'll be living in your head. If you don't get to know them yourself, how can you expect to write them properly?

Hope this helps.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:41 am
TheRiddle says...

Thanks rosey.

It is very helpfull . Al the things you taught me . And you are right .
About the weapons . I want to use various weapons and styles . I cant really find information about the weapons and fighting styke though thats why I asked . And I will go on I strarted to write in dutch but I dont like to read it dutch so let alone write haha ..

Thanks again . Lets keep in touch

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Rosendorn says...

Here is a quick guide on Google to help you out.

Also considering writing involves copious amounts of rewriting, which means reading, I would suggest you learn to enjoy reading Dutch.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:30 pm
TheRiddle says...

I prefer reading english . Because I like english more then dutch. Thanks for the guide I will look ad it in a couple of hours . Do you have any materiaal I can read which you wrote?

And on the pedestal these words appear:/'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;/Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'/Nothing beside remains.
— Percy Bysshe Shelley