z

Young Writers Society

Breaking The Fourth Wall

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:06 pm
Willard says...

Hello. I am Strange. Is it really ok breaking the fourth wall in writing?
Especially the way I did it in X?

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:22 am
Rosendorn says...

It is perfectly okay to break the fourth wall. I am not familiar with the example you're referring to, but I can try to give a few tips:

1- The storyteller. These usually address the reader directly like, well, a storyteller.

2- The crazy narrator who has no idea the fourth wall even exists and directly addresses the reader at every opportunity.

3- The lean. This is when the characters don't really address the reader directly, but more acknowledge they're in a work of fiction.

I have seen all forms done well. The main thing to keep in mind is consistency, because pulling out a sudden fourth wall break can be really jarring. Leaning can be done without much of a prerequisite, because it is just a lean that can be more easily worked into a piece compared to a full on break.

TV Tropes has more information on this, along with a ton of examples, but I hesitate linking you to that site because it is highly addictive.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:00 am
toomanykids says...

everything is ok. you just need to know your purpose

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss