z

Young Writers Society

I have a serious writing issue!

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:23 am
Twinkle4ever says...

Ok so I haven't actually ever posted anything here. I'm a firsty in this section. However, I have been facing this problem for a few years and never gave a thought to it before but now I think, hey, maybe I have a problem.

The thing is that I can never think of anything to write all day, any time, any place, nothing, my mind's blank. But as soon as it's like 12 at night, or 1 am 2 am. My mind works like a creativity machine, throwing ideas at me and I can write lots of things. I've read somewhere that every writer has their own special time when most ideas come to them, when they are able write their best. Some write in the dim light of their lamp, some write in early morning, but mine's a difficult time.

It's totally messed up my sleep. I need to know if there's some way to fix this problem. =/ Any help is much appreciated.
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:29 am
View Likes
Idrinkink says...

You are not the only one with this issue. I guess almost all of us have come up with ideas at night. To me, the reason behind this is still unknown. However, every person needs to sleep. Writing needs both a refresh mind and a pepared one.
Okay so, If you have ideas at night. Keep a notebook on your side table and whatever ideas come into your mind. Just scribble them. You can also write some keypoints regarding that certian topic or idea. In the morning with the refreshed mind you can use your memory and those points to create a masterpiece. :pirate2:

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:49 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

My writing time is about the same, and I have managed to adjust my schedule to allow myself to write without any problem.

I'd suggest finding out what it is about after midnight that is such a creative environment. Is it the lack of other people to distract you? The silence? The dark?

For me, after 12 has the following magic:

1- Calm. There is pretty much nothing else going on at this time of day, so I can sort out my head.

2- Only one or two people online. I can't write with Skype on, I discovered, and when I want to be productive in the writing sphere I have to turn the thing off.

3- I've been winding down for awhile, so there's more room in my head to get stuff out.

4- I want to go to bed and the only thing between me and sleep is my daily word quota, so if I want to get there I have to stop procrastinating and get words down.

I could probably recreate this set of circumstances in different times of day, so long as I hit some key criteria (namely calm and minimal IM), but since I have a schedule that lets me write when I'm naturally the most productive I haven't succeeded yet (primarily because my procrastination is really quite bad and withholding sleep is what does it).

Try to see what tips you into being very creative. Once you know the formula, it's a lot easier to recreate it.

There is also good old forcing yourself to write when uninspired, which requires far more determination but can be just as productive.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:03 am
Twinkle4ever says...

Thanks!

idrinkink, I am going to try that idea. :)

Rosey, that definitely explains a lot. I never thought about it that way. Yes, I do like the calm atmosphere of night time when there is not a single person awake. At times it is even hard to write when somebody's in my room. I have to be completely alone to do it. I will try different tactics that revolve around the points you mentioned. :) Starting with idrinkink's idea.
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

I'm reading and replying to this at around 8 am, after a night I spent writing some scenes and discussing the same scenes with a friend. And they're, if I may say so, pretty great scenes. Also, the summer two years ago I spent sleeping during the days and writing over the nights, and I ended up having a 500+ pages novel a year later.
Hence my opinion is as following c:

Everything Rosey said sounds definitely worth a try, though I must say that I think no created circumstances can really get as good as this night writing. Some writers just work that way - as well as some other artists, and scientists, and people in general, I suppose - and I think, if there's any way to manage to do it, you shouldn't restrain yourself.
Living like that surely takes sacrifices - after all, one must sleep, eventually, and the things which need to get done, need to get done, no matter how tired you might happen to be..

If you can't become a wrimpire (writing vampire ;) ), because of school or because you realise what the consequences might be, or whatever other reason, you should definitely go with Idrinkink's idea - write down just the outlines of scenes, short notes to yourself before you go to sleep, just so you'd recall it all again in the morning? It tends to help, as well as imagining scenes with music - if you can fall asleep with headphones, maybe you can find a song for each scene and imagine it, and so you'd have it back in your mind when you hear the song again, and write them down whenever it suits you :3

Now, I had the luck of having a night-owl mother who reconciled with my..lack of sleeping pattern.. I'm aware most people don't, and that giving these kinds of not-even-advices aren't quite what I should be doing, but I can't tell you to have your sleep and put your writing aside, because I know how impossible it is for me, and how important it's always been.

Now I'm off, otherwise I'll be late to stuff I must do, however unbelievably that sounded xP
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:16 pm
View Likes
Love says...

Hmm... I don't actually have that problem, but that's because my mind is usually blank when it comes to stories... ._. Except when I'm asleep. Or just in an alpha (?) state of mind. Then, ideas and ideas and ideas rush into my mind if the conditions are just so, flashing by rapidly without pausing. They are usually a little deeper during REM sleep when I have one or two single ideas... I know this probably doesn't help, but I was exploring my own condition... Speaking of which, I haven't written in far too many centuries, and I see a laptop... :)
I was Amareth :)

The things you are passionate about are not random, they are your calling.
— Fabienne Fredrickson