z

Young Writers Society

The leader of a faction?

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:47 pm
maleficent says...

I was wondering if somebody could give me an alternative for somebody that is the leader of a faction.

I feel that Lieutenant or General just don't fit the bill.
I think ending every other sentence with 'sir' at the end would be very repetitive and I'm struggling to think of a word that successfully defines just how important his role is.

^^,
"Beware the darkness in your heart. The Heartless prey upon it."

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:04 pm
View Likes
pensword says...

Main Entry:

leader  [lee-der] Show IPA

Part of Speech:

noun

Definition:

person who guides

Synonyms:

boss, captain, chief, chieftain, commander, conductor, controller, counsellor, dean, dignitary, director, doyen, eminence, exec, forerunner, general, governor, guide, harbinger, head, herald, lead, lion*, luminary, manager, mistress, notability, notable, officer, pacesetter, pilot, pioneer, precursor, president, principal, rector, ringleader, ruler, shepherd, skipper, superintendent, superior

fyi, this came from thesaurus.com :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:38 pm
Rosendorn says...

There are a lot of ranks in the military, if you're going by it. There is also a wide variety of ranks within the military and throughout history, so you are likely spoilt for choice.

Here are current US Army leadership ranks in order from least power as a leader to most, courtesy of a military friend of mine (there are also Air Force and Navy ranks, which are different, and each country can have variance):

Corporal, sergeant, staff sergeant, seargant first class, master sergeant, first sergeant, command sergeant major, command sergeant major of the army; 2nd and 1st lieutenant (in that order), major, captain, lieutenant colonel, colonel, brigadier general, major general, lieutenant general, general (If WWII era, 5 star general)

There are a few more ranks to that, but not in leadership positions:
private-no-stripe, private-with-stripe, private first class.

The first one is before the person has completely basic training.

Also, according to my aforementioned friend, "fractions" don't really exist. There are squads, fireteams, and a whole other host of different things military can command.

If you gave us a little bit more context (modern, fantasy, historical, futuristic, military or not, and the culture), then we'd be able to help you out a lot more!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:45 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Also, according to my aforementioned friend, "fractions" don't really exist.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem.

It really depends on the kind of faction you have in mind. If they are aligned for religious reasons, then they will probably have a title that is religious in nature. Titles like High Priest, Prophet, and Oracle come to mind.

Others can be more economic in nature. Those leaders tend to fall in line with titles like chairman, president, and boss. It is a little bit less formal than the religious, since in business calling a person sir, or "Mr. Griffinkeeper" is more in line with day to day stuff.

There are plenty of government/political stuff, such as Commissioner, Governor, King, Emperor, Sultan, Grand Poobah, and First Citizen.

Generals and Admirals tend to be at the top of a the military food chain, but there are other titles, like Field Marshal and Grand Admiral that sound really impressive.

Hopefully this helps, it's hard when there isn't more information.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:13 am
Rosendorn says...

Griff, that line was in a purely military context. Fractions exist in several aspects, but when it comes to what ranks within the military could be leading, there are other names besides "fraction" (which was what I meant when I said "fractions don't exist [in the military]").

If my post was not within military context, then that would be a totally different matter. But I was speaking exclusively in a military context because the original post referenced military rank.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:21 am
maleficent says...

Thank you for the answers and clearly I should have included more information.
I wasn't specifically asking for military-rank suggestions but I'd just finished a super long shift at work and was tired. x)

I actually tried to structure the question without giving away details from my novel. I've found a few titles that I like through the various answers and I'm going to narrow it down until I'm happy.

Thanks again!
"Beware the darkness in your heart. The Heartless prey upon it."

Every first draft is perfect, because all a first draft has to do is exist.
— Jane Smiley