z

Young Writers Society

Psychological Disorders w/Language development

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:22 am
peanut19 says...

I need to know if there is a disorder/disease that is neurological or psychological that would interfere with the understanding of words that sound the same. Not necessarily with homophones but with words like "watercolor" (like a painting) and just the words "water and color". For instance the patient wouldn't know that whoever was speaking was talking about a painting. They would hear "water color" as two separate words and that would cause them to misunderstand the sentence. And they probably wouldn't be able to use context to understand.

There is something called Landau-Kleffner Syndrome where children suddenly don't understand what is being said to them. It's often thought that there's a hearing problem because they completely don't understand.

So I was wondering anyone knew if this LKS could possibly have the symptom of just misunderstanding words instead of completely not understanding them or if there is another disease/disorder out there that could have this a symptom. Because Google and all the sites I've seen about it don't really mention much in the way of that. And I don't want to assign a symptom to a syndrome just to suit my story.

Thank you!
~peanut~
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:29 am
View Likes
Shadowlight says...

I would look less at Genetic and Mental disorders and More at Speech disorders actually-

I work with children with special needs an see lot of word comprehension issues. SO I would encourage you to look into Speech and language development problems- rather then genetic and mental.
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:59 am
peanut19 says...

"Those suffering from APD may have problems relating what has been said with its meaning, despite obvious recognition that a word has been said, as well as repetition of the word."

I think I found what I was looking for! Auditory Processing Disorder. It's confused a lot with dyslexia.

Thank you, ShadowLight! I probably never would have looked in the right place.
~peanut~
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god -- the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals!
— William Shakespeare