z

Young Writers Society

How to get started in writing/publishing

Reviews: 3
Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:37 pm
IntelligentQuill says...

Hey YWS! I recently started coming back to YWS and have a few questions. I want to write a short story and publish it, but Is it possible to publish a short story and if so, how can I get started? I already have my story in mind, just need to learn from someone who has knowledge in publishing books.

Thanks! :pirate3:
Rise and rise until lambs become lions.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:51 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

These two lists should help you out a lot. Keep scrolling through the whole thread because he adds more lists in later posts.

When it comes to publishing short stories, it's mostly a case of finding reputable anthologies, magazines, ezines (electronic magazines) and websites that are willing to publish the piece. Building up a following through short stories is actually a really good way to get an agent later, because if your short stories are well known then your novels are more likely to sell. Authors with pre-established fan followings are deemed "safer" for agents and publishing houses.

It's also a case of not publishing the piece accidentally by posting it in a place that will make it "published".

You'll probably get a lot of rejections, but that's just more time to improve. Everybody gets rejected, and you just have to keep improving in the mean time.

Good luck!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 3
Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:58 am
IntelligentQuill says...

Thank you very much, I will put this info to good use. :D
Rise and rise until lambs become lions.

GET YER EYES AWAY FROM MY EYE SOCKETS >.>
— herbalhour