z

Young Writers Society

How to get started in writing/publishing

Reviews: 3
Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:37 pm
IntelligentQuill says...

Hey YWS! I recently started coming back to YWS and have a few questions. I want to write a short story and publish it, but Is it possible to publish a short story and if so, how can I get started? I already have my story in mind, just need to learn from someone who has knowledge in publishing books.

Thanks! :pirate3:
Rise and rise until lambs become lions.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:51 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

These two lists should help you out a lot. Keep scrolling through the whole thread because he adds more lists in later posts.

When it comes to publishing short stories, it's mostly a case of finding reputable anthologies, magazines, ezines (electronic magazines) and websites that are willing to publish the piece. Building up a following through short stories is actually a really good way to get an agent later, because if your short stories are well known then your novels are more likely to sell. Authors with pre-established fan followings are deemed "safer" for agents and publishing houses.

It's also a case of not publishing the piece accidentally by posting it in a place that will make it "published".

You'll probably get a lot of rejections, but that's just more time to improve. Everybody gets rejected, and you just have to keep improving in the mean time.

Good luck!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 3
Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:58 am
IntelligentQuill says...

Thank you very much, I will put this info to good use. :D
Rise and rise until lambs become lions.

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a treee called life; which grows higher than the soul can home or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
— e.e. cummings