z

Young Writers Society

Kind of like an essay, but funnier.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu May 02, 2013 8:34 am
MagmaLlama says...

So, I'm planning on posting something here on YWS that's kind of like an essay or a series of essays, but it's all crazy. For example, I say that the planets are pulled around the sun by giant, invisible robotic space bunnies. What category do I put this piece under? Essays and reports, fiction? I DON'T KNOW???????
You can call me a geek,
You can call me a freak,
But if you do,
I'll kick you into next week.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu May 02, 2013 12:19 pm
Jonathan says...

Well if you are posting something like that will pope up in the literary works then you need to put it as fiction but if you are posting it as a story book or something then I would do it different and just rate it the way it is that is the best way to do stuff.
There seems to be nothing written here. :shock:

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu May 02, 2013 3:06 pm
Kale says...

There is a Humor genre that will work perfectly for this purpose. There's also no reason you can't put it into the Article/Essay section. Humorous essays are a form that have been around for a very long time.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sat May 04, 2013 11:08 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Somehow it's more or less based on your opinion! But to speak technically (and for future reference) the main difference between fiction and essays is that essays attempts to answer a question or make an argumentative statement, and is usually filled with either facts or imagination. In my view, Kyll is right, the piece you're talking about is a humorous essay. Why? Maybe because those robotic space bunnies are the metaphor you used for gravity, which is in fact a fact!

On the other hand, fiction has a beginning, middle and end, and it can be senseful with facts, senseless without and is composed of characters, conflicts and a plot. If you think that your piece has some characters, or there is one big conflict in it, then have it as fiction, if it's humorously making an argument, then try essay :D
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
— Eric Hoffer