z

Young Writers Society

Summer writing job?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:43 am
Justlittleoleme says...

Hello out there :D

I am a young college student thinking on earning some extra money over the summer with my writing skills. At least...I think they are skills *pokes 'skills' with stick* I'm not sure *shrugs*. Anyway, where would I start looking? What are my options? Who needs writers out there and is willing to pay them?

I'm not talking about making a living, more along the lines on doing something productive with something I already do. You know?

Please and thank you for any and all replies. :D

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:47 pm
Tenyo says...

If it's just for extra cash you could try fishing around a newsagents and making a list of magazines that you could potentially write articles for.

Summer is two months at least, right? You could totally write a novel in that time =D or at least a few short stories that could be submitted to magazines and competitions with close-by deadlines.

It might be hard to set up depending on your circumstances, but have you considered tutoring or setting up something like a kids-creative-writing summer workshop?

Depending on what your skills are, there's also the non-fiction approach of offering to proof-read coursework and the likes for younger students. Professionals tend to charge ridiculous amounts for this (seriously, hundreds), so offering a cheaper service would be a relief to some.
We were born to be amazing.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:32 am
AlfredSymon says...

Aside from what Ten-ten suggested, you can write for blogs. Yup, a lot of serious-dealing blogs out there are seeking people to write different content. There are business blogs, market blogs and school blogs needing some content.

If you're a bit wary with 'em blogs, how about Yahoo and Helium? Or even Squidoo. I see them as creativity sites, because you won't be only posting a simple article, you'll also be able to design it. Add some pictures, make some polls or embed videos. In Squidoo, you're required to. But that's cool. It's like your own blog. Why? Other than giving it your own touch, you'll also be able to choose ANY topic, so you'll enjoy writing it. Plus, you'll have some extra cash. There's even an option to give it to charity instead, but hey, this is a summer job, right? :D
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:38 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

Hey! Don't poke at those skills. You are good enough to get to college with them so don't be down. Find a magazine that offers to pay for stories you are good at. Some authors today started out with magazines after all. Like the people above said, there are many ways to earn money.

(Ha I am very late on this)
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

I continue to be a reverse hipster, I only do things after they've ceased being cool
— BluesClues