z

Young Writers Society

How to compare and contrast two animals?

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:53 pm
EatSleepRead1120 says...

So I'm doing a research paper on two different sea animals. I chose the comb jellyfish and the sun jellyfish.

We have to research both of them, and organize the research into categories. (Example: I have five categories: Physical traits, Birth, Habitat, Food chain etc.) Then after the research on the categories are done, we write a paper. One paragraph comparing the two animals on that category, and one paragraph contrasting the two animals on that category.

We're still researching, but I'm trying to think ahead about how I'm going to write out all of the research into comparing and contrasting paragraphs.

And I had a question: Do I have to have the same kind of information for both animals? Like, if I want to know how far both jellyfish can swim in the ocean, do I research for both of the animals on that question? Like, right now, I have info on how far the comb jellyfish can swim. For the sun jellyfish, I can't find any info for how far they can swim.

Do I just leave it alone? Or do I write something for the sun jellyfish instead? Or what?

Please help. I need to have the research done by this weekend. Thanks.
12 year old writer.

"Don't worry if people remember you only when they need you. Feel privileged that you are like a candle that comes to their mind when there is darkness."

Reader! Loving every great little thing in a great big book.

~Renee

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:55 am
Rosendorn says...

Normally you would compare/contrast on the same points. When I did compare/contrast papers, I'd pick the points based on what research I'd found that could be used as a comparison points.

At the very least, compare/contrast similar pieces of information. Things like feeding techniques, habitat, ect. If you can't find information on one, then find something the other doesn't have.

All in all, try to be as even as possible.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

18 Reviews

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:20 am
EatSleepRead1120 says...

okay, thank you! :)
12 year old writer.

"Don't worry if people remember you only when they need you. Feel privileged that you are like a candle that comes to their mind when there is darkness."

~Renee

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:57 am
AlfredSymon says...

Hey ESR! I hope my reply would come to you before you finalize your papers!

I think one paragraph which expresses one comparison between the two under the same category is best. For instance, if you have the category 'appearance', you could lend a paragraph for it wherein you would only focus on the fish's physical appearance.

When you compare and contrast, make sure you're not just repeating what you've said! Keep it clear that on one paragraph, you're comparing, and on another one, you're contrasting. Remember that not all the things could be compared. Likewise, not everything can be contrasted. You need to know what you will write in each paragraph before continuing on your writing. In comparing, you're trying to find the relation between the two species, while in contrasting, you're trying to appraise their differences.

About the information, I would really like to recommend that you should. See, you're trying to find relationships, and it'd be a bit weird if you'd lack an information on one variable. On your prob about the sun jellyfish, might it be that there is another name for it? Maybe you could search that. If you really end up empty handed, a subspecies of the sun jellyfish might help. You could use it to represent the sun jellyfish in general.

Hope I helped! Good luck ESR!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

18 Reviews

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 am
EatSleepRead1120 says...

Thank you :)
12 year old writer.

~Renee

seeing this tag and going "oh what's this? :)" then getting slapped in the face with shady's good grammar is the worst thing that's ever happened to me
— SilverNight