z

Young Writers Society

Posting work online you intend to publish?

Reviews: 2
Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:59 am
opaquewillow says...

I was just thinking about the Literary part of YWS and I've posted the first chapter of my book online, but what I didn't think of before is would posting online make you unpublishable?

I intend to publish my novel when its finished and polished, but I don't want to hinder my chances by posting it online even though its helping as you guys are critiquing it.

Thanks.

Reviews: 2
Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:11 am
View Likes
opaquewillow says...

Well I've just searched the forums and am happy to find an answer I like. I think I'll post the chapters that I believe need the most work, then delete them one I feel the novel has finished.

Thanks for the previous topics on this subject! :D

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Oh yes, on that. YWS will not take your copyright from you and you still own your chapters so there's nothing to worry about. The only risk is that the publisher might find it here, which means trouble because they're part of the copyright when you publish the novel. So yeah, that will be a good move :D
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:15 pm
Rosendorn says...

Research. Copyright laws. To death.

In the UK, for example, posting online is considered giving away your first publication rights. In this case, do not ever post final drafts online. Solicit private betas so nothing can be found by Google. Chances are, however, your drafts will be much different than the final product. Still, do delete just to be safe.

In the US, so long as the author still has the right to remove their work (which YWS gives you, but not all websites do. Research each policy individually. I am 95% sure Wattpad does not let you retain rights) then it's not considered published.

In short, it is highly dependent on where you live. Treat each site and each country differently.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

If you don't know it's impossible it's easier to do. And because nobody's done it before, they haven't made up rules to stop anyone doing that again, yet.
— Neil Gaiman