z

Young Writers Society

Research for Story

Reviews: 1
Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:38 pm
View Likes
Harmony'sSake says...

Ok, I am writing a fantasy book that takes place a long time ago. Does anyone know anything about what the goverments in... like Europe years ago? I mean like what laws and stuff? I know its confusing but I need to know. PM if you need me to make it clearer.
"You should have died! Died rather than betray your friends as we would have for you!" Sirius Black

You know you are obsessed when you know enough quotes that you could use a new one everyday for almost a year!

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:01 pm
Wiggy says...

Do you have any specific government in mind? If not, then I suggest you narrow your topic and then use Google. :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:05 pm
View Likes
Rei says...

I can't give you specifics, especially if you don't have a particular era you're writing about, but I can point you in the right direction. If you go to the library, in the non-fiction section, the dewey decimal number to look for is 940.1, or any number from 940 to 990 for specific countries.

When I was researching medieval society, I found children's books like Life in a Medieval Castle as a good place to start for the basics. For the thirteenth century, Life in a Medieval City has lots of great information, such as how businesses worked to what medicine of the time was like.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:25 pm
smaur says...

Think about:

- What era you're looking at.
- Which government (i.e. which country) you want.

"A long time ago" can be anywhere from twenty years ago to five hundred. And obviously, Europe has quite a few countries with many different governments.

Pare it down to a couple of keywords. "English government 1500s" or "Ukranian legal system 1920s" or whatever you're looking for, and try out Google or Wikipedia. Chances are, if you look around, they'll be able to give you a lot more than you bargained for.

Hope that helps!
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:32 pm
Snoink says...

You might want to look up monarchies.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:49 am
Fishr says...

I'm under the impression that this story is turning into historical fiction because bridging the gaps within the story seems to require research. This isn't a bad thing, and in some regards, just ignore me. :lol: I've become a historical fanatic (and an incoherent rambler).

Still though, I agree with Snoink and to futher on her suggestion, I suggest doing some reading about the U.K. too. Depending what this government entails, it might help to get an idea how the countryside, British dialect, laws/government, the Queen, etc. If the story is based, or even loosly, around the U.K., I suggest researching the country. This way you'll be somewhat familer and the story will be realistic.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:55 am
Harmony'sSake says...

Hmm, I don't know if its going to be historical fiction because I am not really setting the story in England or anything, because I am going to create my own country and world, but I would like to get an idea of what things where like back then because thats the time period it takes place in..... I think
"You should have died! Died rather than betray your friends as we would have for you!" Sirius Black

You know you are obsessed when you know enough quotes that you could use a new one everyday for almost a year!

365 Reviews

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:04 am
Fishr says...

Right, OK. Gotchya. So, it is fantasy but if you're looking to get a feel of your world, try the main source. ;) Read a few books or even look at pictures of England. That at least will give you an idea of your world, while you create a mental map.

I'm sorry I'm not being much help but I also had five hours of sleep, lol. Best of luck, and if you question, I might be helpful with specific questions. My novel is about the American Revolution, and I've researched in depth. Therefore, if its related to England, I might have an answer or at least I can point you in the right direction, in most cases.

Best of luck! The beginning stages are always vague and a little frustrating but once the writer understands their characters, the conflict and world; their hooked!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:39 am
Rei says...

Depending on what type of country you want your story set in, and what era, the fuedal system of government would also be something to consider looking into.

Of course, since it's fantasy, reading up on myths and fairy lore is also a good idea.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:47 am
Harmony'sSake says...

Yeah, as soon as get out of my wheelchair I am taking an emergency trip to the library and getting books on myths and anything fantasy. I have a feeling its going to be a LONG time before I really start writing this story because I need to research so many things. I am working on my other book, Saving Charms right now since I don't need to do hardly any research for it. Thanks for your help everyone!

365 Reviews

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:41 am
Fishr says...

I have a feeling its going to be a LONG time before I really start writing this story because I need to research so many things.

I've spent nine months researching, while I was writing my novel, and I've heard other writers on this board have been working on theirs as long as four years. Prior though, I spent four months of solid researching; reading, interviewing people that have a firmer grasp on the 18th Century than I, and cross-referencing before I wrote a single word. ;)

Actually, technically that's a lie. I wrote the title, than spent the four months researching, LOL! So, you're not alone.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:51 pm
Wiggy says...

Guess that means I need to do a bunch more research! :oops: Oh well, I am. lol
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
— Voltaire