z

Young Writers Society

Struggling with a scene

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:41 pm
astaff95 says...

The story in my book takes place in the 1890s in England, and in one chapter the main character gets shot in the gut, the wound gets infected and a doctor needs to get the bullet out. The said doctor is the main character's best friend, so it's pretty hard on him already, but since they're in a cottage in the middle of nowhere he basically has only the most basic medical equipment, no sedatives, no morphine etc.
I don't want to put too much medical jargon etc. in it, but I don't want to skip it altogether, and I have absolutely no idea how to get around writing the scene. It's very important for the whole story, so I can't just chuck it out and I'm really stuck :(
Any advice? Pretty please? :P

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:27 pm
Kale says...

Instead of focusing on the surgery, you can focus on the doctor's emotions. For example, his frustration at not having morphine, the pain he feels putting his friend through the pain of surgery, the doubts that his friend will survive even if he can get the bullet out, etc. Even if the doctor isn't a viewpoint character, you can still show these emotions by the things the doctor says and how he says them, as well as the way he does other things like prep for the surgery. Does he make weak jokes the entire time? Keep asking the MC questions as he operates? Explain what he's doing? Just babble? Stuff like that.

Since it's such an emotional scene, you'll want to focus on the emotions and weave them into the actions.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:18 pm
sammi09 says...

I am at a point in my story where the main girl character leaves her ally in a foresty area and the ally goes to search for her with his last thought being "I shouldn't have left her alone". I have no ideas where to progress the story from here. She had a premonition of a batlle coming to her and she didn't want her ally or the army they have put together to get hurt so she left to deal with it herself. Please help me. Ideas at all?

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:29 pm
bandgeek101 says...

Perhaps the girl could use a trick to get the battle to be postponed or lead the army that wants to attack her away from the girl's army. The boy ally might find her after she's done this, that depends whether you want the boy ally to find her or stop her, etc. the girl ally could go with someone else, or meet someone on the way who will help her prevent the battle.
Courage is resistance to fear
Mastery of Fear
Not absence of Fear
-Mark Twain

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:14 am
sammi09 says...

Thank you. I've worked on it recently and I think I got it down but I'm still editing rereading it and what not. Some of the story plays to music (I get inspiration from music and just wrote everything down) so I have to go through and rewrite those parts bit for the most part the outer storyline is done....I think

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:52 pm
Tenyo says...

As far as the scene goes, I'd back Kylloracs advice.

Personally I'd say if one of your main characters is a doctor you should do at least a little reasearch into medicine and stuff, just because it's likely to be a recurring thing in your novel, and being able to spew out a few long words will make your doctor character a little more believable. It will take some time, but you may find out some really cool stuff.

Another option is the 'you know it, I know it, let's just pretend it's not there' approach. Make up the jardon, use a lot of words that nobody knows what they are, and act like you know what you're talking about. Anybody who actually knows will probably find a little humour in it and bat it off.

Or, the lazy option, is to post the scenario onto one of those question and answer sites and wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to give you the easy answers ^__^
We were born to be amazing.

I am just curious-have I ever been on the bottom quote-thingy?
— foxmaster