z

Young Writers Society

How to find good names?

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:44 pm
Johann says...

I've always been a very big fan of the fantasy genre and because of that I decided to try and create a world of my own where my stories should happen from now on. I started working on the map today but my real problem is that I don't really know how to find proper names for places and characters, names that other people can like too.
So my question is, how do you find the names of your characters, where do you find inspiration?
Last edited by Johann on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:23 am
Kale says...

http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/

You can just use the default settings to generate lists of random names, or you can customize the template to output names that better fit your setting. The latter is especially useful if you've got a constructed language for your world.

I get most of my names from there.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:28 pm
Mongererofspoons says...

While name generators are awesome for any writer, you may want to also try a Latin translator, as some random words sound fitting for such a setting when translated. Hell, you can even incorporate the meaning into the name itself if you’re lucky with how it fits.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 pm
Tenyo says...

It's hard to find names that people like because everybody has different preferences. Names will sound better or worse depending on region, accent, country.

Prejudice also comes into account. There is a name I hate and my blood bubbles just reading it, mainly because it's the name of my ex-landlord and my blood is pre-programmed to boil whenever I see that name. the name that's perfect to you might be repulsive to others.

The only rule I'd say is make it easy enough to pick up and pronounce. Akri, Levora and Muetar would be alright. Fli'achkdar, rebohatsi jobekachoo, and Touaomuff are not because they're a nightmare to try and pronounce, and anybody reading by syllable or aloud will have trouble with it.

It also helps to do a quick google check to make sure no obviously famous works have characters of the same name.
We were born to be amazing.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:17 pm
crossroads says...

People often think that, when finding a fantasy name for something, it should have a meaning.. Well, as much as that can be interesting, I don't think it's even close to being a rule.

You can just find a word you like, or a couple of words, or letters, and combine them. Or just randomly poke some letters on the keyboard and then rearrange them so they make some sense. Or just pick a word and rearrange the letters there. The possibilities are endless.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:23 am
Cspr says...

While I find Aria's advice particularly freeing (I used to do just the same back in time until I thought it too random, apparently I was wrong?), may I ask what time period and culture(s) you plan on basing your fantasy world off of? I find it helpful to use those two things as a guiding light. It also helps me with cohesiveness when building a fictional society. Of course, you must be careful to avoid certain pitfalls, but it can be a useful technique.

If you could give me those two things, I might be able to help you scrounge up some good naming sites that deal with era and locale.
My SPD senses are tingling.

11 Reviews

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:14 pm
View Likes
Johann says...

First of all I want to say thanks to everybody for the very helpful advices.

Now to answer Cspr's question, my world would be based on the middle age period or something really close to it and I should focus on the german, anglo-saxon culture as much as for architecture. I don't really want to focus too much on kings and knights though but rather on the religious side. I called my world Irrlumina. I comes from the German word "Irre" which means dizzy and the Romanian word "lumina" with means the light. What I tried to create is a world that is seemingly perfect but has dark sides.

I also created some cities and other landmarks but their names don't really have a meaning.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:27 pm
Cspr says...

Brilliant. As a person of German descent, this will be far easier than I expected. First of all, good work on focusing on the language. It'll help things seem more real, even if they're not exactly 'perfect'.

As for city names, landmarks, and such, I suggest finding the basic German words for description and using Google Maps to see what other German cities, towns, and villages are called.

Now here's an excellent site I can't suggest more: http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/

The sister sites, Behind the Name/Surname, are also good and if you find the link to the links, there's a lot of great stuff there.

Remember: Mythology and folklore are great resources and, luckily for you, you also have the Brothers Grimm works at your fingertips. Bit later than medieval times, but it works well enough since those stories were those they collected that had been told generation after generation.
My SPD senses are tingling.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:39 am
crossroads says...

Well, I am slightly lost when it comes to German names and all, but I do know that your world sounds pretty great to me - do let me know when you think of it in greater details, and if you post any of the stories happening there, will you?
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

11 Reviews

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:58 pm
Johann says...

Don't worry AriaAdams, I don't think that my names will be very German. What I meant by that was more about the society and the achitecture and the overall picture of the world. However I wasn't able to do anything this week because I was making my world of a notebook and my latin teacher took it from me :evil: now I must wait till tomorrow. But anyway I already introduced the classical races and I was hoping to find something original in the future. Now I must create my main character.

I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
— Chandler Bing