z

Young Writers Society

Murder Mysteries

662 Reviews

Reviews: 662
Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:14 am
dogs says...

What do you guys think is the quintessential and necessary essence of writing a murder mystery? I'm in the process or writing one, I get stuck especially at after the murder and my detective is interviewing people. It just seems like a total "and than this happened... and than this happened... and then he interviewed this person... and this person" and it just seems choppy when I read it. But I'm not sure how to change that up. Any suggestions? Also if you want to check out my magnificent mansion murder mystery chapters it's in my portfolio. Thank you!
Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

"Quoth the Raven. Nevermore" - Edgar Allan Poe

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:16 am
View Likes
TheEvilWithin says...

Well, in order to be a detective you have to be able to use your initiative and also have sharp gut instincts. The interviews wouldn't be boring if he is able to use the information he acquires in a way nobody else would. After all, that's his job. I recommend playing the game LA Noire if you can because that might help you get into a detective's shoes. I think as long as he can read between the lines and glean more facts from what he is being told, your story will always be kept exciting. Maybe sometimes he gets things wrong - but that could be fun, too. I think there are a lot of ways you can make each scene different, even if he goes through the same routines.

As for the quintessential essence of writing a murder mystery, I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but here goes. It will probably seem obvious, but I think it's important to take care of exactly how much information you give your readers. You can slip up in just one sentence and give the game away (in regards to who the killer is). Sometimes mysteries can be formulaic, especially when the story is littered with obvious red herring suspects. It's tricky to surprise readers because they will keep a close eye on every character your protagonist interacts with and will instantly ask themselves "is this killer?". Knowing that, it's probably tempting to write the killer as the janitor from chapter one. Who'd suspect that, right? Well, I can tell you right now that I freak out if the killer turns out to be someone who was hardly even in the story.

In short, mysteries heavily rely on the mystery (obviously ;D) and shock value that comes in your end game, but it's tricky to find that balance between foreshadowing enough so that your readers will either kick themselves for not seeing it coming / wont see it coming and not foreshadowing enough (the janitor we forgot all about and wont care if he turns out to be the killer).

Good luck with your mystery. I really don't know if this helps. I have just begun a mystery story of my own and this is the situation I'm trying to stay clear of

662 Reviews

Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:11 am
dogs says...

Thanks Evil for your awesome comment and advice! You must let me know when you post bits and pieces of your mystery novel, I would be very interested to read it. I completely agree with you there, I'm trying to keep that fine line of making all my characters seem to have an alibi, but I'm also trying to put in light foreshadowing as to who the killer actually is. I'm worried that I go a little too heavy on the foreshadow and it's obvious who did the crime even before the murder was committed. Gah! Murder mysteries are so hard.

:smt032
Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:30 am
View Likes
Trident says...

I once wrote a short story murder mystery and I think what I really did was focus on the detective character and their thoughts. I really think you have to limit the actual interrogation scenes so that it doesn't seem so procedural.

Crimes consist of more than witnesses and perpetrators, so you could always have your detective searching for some clue, or hatching an idea while they are on their relaxation time. These are time-honored approaches in the mystery genre.

I think one of the best parts of mysteries is that we get to see a set of differing characters and it really makes us see that life is full of funny and interesting people, good or bad. And also you get to see how the crime has affected people, and I think that should be another focus, as opposed to a litany of long interrogations. Those parts can be fun too, but if they dominate the story, it gets tiresome, like you said.
Perception is everything.

662 Reviews

Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:50 pm
dogs says...

I feel ya Trident. Basically I limited my interrogation to I think three people in the fourth chapter and than the rest I will interrogate in separate places after he goes on a search for clues and what not. I hope to post my new chapter soon :3

17 Reviews

Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:01 pm
TheEvilWithin says...

Happy to help.

As for posting my story, truth be told, I haven't visited this site in about two years. I don't even listen to Evanescence anymore XD (the band in my avatar). Also my story is a fanfic. I only really write for fun now because I don't want to focus on a project that will have me stressing out all day. Am I allowed to post a fanfic here? If so I'll let you know when I do. Have you posted your story yet?

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:19 pm
Stori says...

Hello, dogs! I've never written a murder mystery, but may I suggest some books? Try reading the Cat Who series by Lilian Jackson Braun and "The Mountains of Mourning" by Lois McMaster Bujold. (The latter is a short novel, part of the Miles Vorkosigan saga.)

Evil, YWS certainly does allow fanfiction.

Edit: Here is the text of "Mountains".

662 Reviews

Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:33 pm
dogs says...

Oh wonderful! If I ever can fit in some time in my life I'll check it out :). I'm already reading some Agatha Christie. One of the greatest mystery novel writers in my opinion.

17 Reviews

Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:54 pm
TheEvilWithin says...

Great! I have to say I'm really enjoying the new look of this site. I think I'll stick around this time. Good luck with your stories, everyone ;D Hopefully I'll get round to reading them all

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy