z

Young Writers Society

Slam Poetry!

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:50 pm
indieeloise says...

Hello, YWS acquaintances!

So, I've been doing a lot of research lately on slam poetry/spoken word. I've heard several performances, but that was back when I wasn't writing poetry. I think the whole performing something and putting your heart into something physically as well as mentally sounds wonderful. I'm quite shy about getting up in front of people (for example, I sing and play piano, but if my school were to have a talent show, it'd be out of the question - I'd go numb and collapse on the floor before I even started playing). But I think that if I invested into something like this, poetry, which I'm pretty darn passionate about, I think that I would find the strength in me to get lost in it and orally perform.

But that's beside the point. I read several examples of slam poetry (including the most hilarious thing I have ever read, titled "Pucker", on this website http://drake.marin.k12.ca.us/staff/doherty/slampoems.htm.) I tried to write a few stanzas in this type of poetry's style: with blunt images, no "big words", a distinct use of rhythm, repetition, and rhyme made evident when read aloud.. But obviously I need some coaching. This is very new to me!

Does anyone have any advice on how to write for spoken word? Any favorite poetry slammers whose work would be helpful to observe? Are any of you experts or at least used to writing this sort of thing? I just like branching out to new things, experimenting with writing. If you guys could get back with me on this if you've got something to say, that would be splendid! I'll continue to research this style of poetry until I've got a feel for it. Then, I'll finish the poem and post it, and see what you guys think! Thanks!!

~Indie.
"My hobbies include editing my life story, hiding behind metaphors, and trying to convince my shadows that I am someone worth following." - Rudy Francisco

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

I'm not a slam poet, but when you do post your poem, be sure to post a link to a reading of it too. How a poem is read and how it sounds and feels are sometimes very different things, and having a reading for your slam poem would really help potential reviewers and commenters get a really good feel for your poem.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:33 am
AlfredSymon says...

Eloise, my dear!

Slam poetry. Hmmmm. Well, I think everything that matters in this umbrella of poetry are the works. They're really just another version with narrative or dramatic poetry and writing them is almost as the same. Albeit this fact, I think there are some stuff to remember if you intend your work to BE spoken, as in presented orally and not publishing it in a written form.

See, the same poetic rules apply if you'd write it, but reciting it off the bat without written help is a bit more different because there are various senses which can come out of the piece when you say it through proper emphasis and emotion.

I think the most important thing to do is to capture the emotion. When you imagine the piece being in a comic theater, then making the words a bit simpler and focusing on the sense of the piece is more important. Additionally, the concept of the piece could change because of how you would say it, so your stress and emphasis should be kept in mind.

You're topic? Well, it might at least be about what many would want to hear, right?

Oh, another thing. As you think of what you're writing, think of it while saying it out loud with the emotion you've captured. Saying it in the mind is quite different when saying it out loud for you will hear it!

Anyways, good luck!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:37 pm
indieeloise says...

Thank you both for the helpful advice!

Here is my first attempt at spoken word/slam poetry. I plan to perform this at my school's talent show in about a month, but if you think that I would just make a fool of myself, please don't hesitate to tell me. I have to send in a video to perform by February 18, so reviews and critiques are urgently needed before then, please!

The words of the poem are located here: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=99710

Here is the link to the video, so you can listen while you read the words. http://versesofaponderingsoul.tumblr.com/post/42792642775/unrefined-hannah-denham-my-first-attempt-at

Thanks, loves! xx
"My hobbies include editing my life story, hiding behind metaphors, and trying to convince my shadows that I am someone worth following." - Rudy Francisco

Reviews: 3
Fri May 02, 2014 1:24 am
megustapastel says...

HI!
I suppose I'm really late for responding on this topic, but I thought I'd like to help you out a bit.
For a back story, I watched this documentary called Louder Than A Bomb (On Netflix!) Where it showcases a large spoken word poetry slam in Chicago. I was totally astounded by strong and beautiful spoken word poetry actually is. That night, I started writing my own spoken word poetry myself, and I fell in love with the whole writing, and preforming it thing. A week later a presented my first piece in front of the slam club at school (It was only my 2nd time reading poetry I've written) And The response from the club made me feel so alive and appreciated.
Since then, I have been competing in poetry slams and open mics presented by an organization called Youth Speaks. I'm fortunate to live in the Bay Area and have access to such wonderful tools and people who share the same love for spoken word that I have as well.
For a few tips and tricks I've learned for writing spoken word:
1. Candace: Meaning the way the words are presented and the way you say it. It helps put emotion into your poetry and it makes it flow and sound well. You kinda just have to play around with your poem and find effective ways to say it to show meaning.
2. Doesn't always have to rhyme: Rhyming is a very useful tool in spoken word, but there are points where I used to rhyme just because it made it sound cool. But It wasn't understandable because I began to rhyme left and right to the point where I would lose the focus of my poem. Keep it relevant.
3. Don't be vague, get personal: When you perform at poetry slams, everyone there is there for a reason. Which is to share their own story, when they're up there they are being vulnerable, putting themselves on blast, because they want you to understand what they're going through. It's like trusting these people with a part of you. Being personal (not too personal) helps the audience relate better, because when you're being vague the audience could get really confused and misinterpret the meaning.
4. Don't change if you don't want to: I've gone through situations where slam club would give suggestions to change things and I would change large amounts of my poem because people told me to. I lost the personal touch of that poem because I changed what people told me and I no longer felt for it anymore.
5. Confidence: When you're up there performing just tell yourself, I'm here, because I want people to know MY story. This is me, this is what I believe and everybody will listen to what I have to say.

Here's one of mine: Strangers

That's all I've got to say.
Keep slammin' on!
Much love, stranger and have fun. :D :D

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri May 02, 2014 1:09 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

I'm not very accomplished at it either, but I think one way to practice writing poetry that rolls off the tongue easily would be to write a poem and read it outloud, one time. Whatever gives you pause, underline it as you go and continue reading. Then go back and look at what gave you pause. Odd wording? A misplaced word? Eventually, you'll be able to know when and what to avoid by habit. Practice I think for stuff like this is key. The longer you practice, the more you'll find a way that works for you.
I'd also suggest reading every poem you read outloud. Learning how to read poetry (because it is different from reading prose outloud) is another big thing to this. So whenever you read a poem, whether an e.e. cummings poem or a poem on YWS, read it outloud. practicepracticepractice.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Fri May 02, 2014 2:48 pm
eldEr says...

If we're going to be technical, almost all poetry is meant to be read out loud; the exception being the most modern-day free verse poetry. It may not necessarily be meant to be spoken word, but I find that you always get more out of a poem if you read it out loud.

And thus:
The poems that you read out loud don't have to be your own! Read old poets. Read old-fashioned pieces (sonnets, ballads, other metric forms), and pieces that are more modern (between 1850 and 1950). I'd suggest Emily Bronte and Walt Witman. Robert Frost is really nice to read out loud, too. They're well-known, and thus easy to locate at libraries/bookstores.

If you read them out loud and figure out what you like about they way they flow, studying their technique is a good way to polish your own. But like Spark said, read all of your poems out loud and do the underlining thing. The only way to get good at poetry is to study stuff that's not yours alongside the stuff that is ;)
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote