z

Young Writers Society

How tall is 20ft and 30ft?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:18 am
queenofscience says...

Hey, how big is 20ft and 30ft? I need a frame of reference. See, in one of my stories, my main character accidentally gets enlarged.

Or can you give me a list of sizes going up by 10ft such as " 20ft is as big as..." And compare it to something. Also, please put how big a person, on average would be up against her ( my character)

Also, I need a way for how Ember ( my main character) could get enlarged accidentally (and two scientist that are beside her, that are holding onto her) get enlarged as well. However, Ember's shrink ray ( which along with her force field is being used for war purposes) is being tested ( it is aimed at a metallic cube.) to see by the scientist how it works. However, the beam strikes the cube, enlarging it, but i want it to also enlarge Ember and the two scientist accidentally. Oh, and the scientist are testing the ray because they want to know how it works ( as in particles and all.)

Any ideas. Everything else I have.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:09 am
View Likes
EloquentDragon says...

Stuff that would make her grow big, hmm.... Mushrooms? Heh heh heh...

Anyways... So the ray hits the cube (metal cube) and it bounces off and hits them, enlarging them. Bingo! One problem though... no scientist is dense enough to shoot a war beam of unknown consequence at ANYTHING, much less a METAL cube...

Why not set this up more realistically? There is a golden oppourtunity for character developement here. How do the ACTIONS of the characters effect the events of the story? What does the protagonist do that directly influences the outcome of the event here? Like science, it's cause and effect. If something acts, then there has to be a reaction. (For example, maybe one of the scientists is cute and this girl, while trying to flirt/show off accidentially hit the button that causes the end of the world. Or maybe she's mad b/c he ate her swiss cheese, and, pointing the war ray at him which she is about to use to blast him to infinity, misses and hits the metal cube thing, causing the reflections, which causes them to grow, yadda yadda yadda...)

Point being, back up your character's actions realistically. If she's reserved, she's not going to suddenly throw a temper tantrum. Likewise, a couple of geniuses who invented the war ray would not suddenly point and shoot at a metal cube, wondering if their could be a possible adverse outcome.

Now, as to how big is 20-30 feet? Well my dear, that's what the internet is for. But if you must know...
It's about the length of a killer whale. Or your standard archery range. Or five to seven dwarves stacked on top of each other. Or a light pole.
Thing is, "stuff that is 30 feet" is too broad, and largely unhelpful. You should be able to "eyeball" it. A yard stick is three feet, three yardsticks would almost be ten feet. So take this imaginary "ten foot stick," walk up to the side of a building, and gauge where your enlarged person would mark their "growth chart"

Hope that helps.
Sincerely, ED
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:51 am
queenofscience says...

Thanks. ( btw i like your humor)

Ok, I forgot to say that Ember, Dr. Ember ( my main character) invented the shrink ray ( it is used as a research technology for medical research etc.)

However, I see what you mean about character development. See, the scientist know that it's a shrink ray, therefor, they know what it does. They just want to see how it works ( and they force Ember to watch ) Also, Acka ( a country, which the scientist are working in a military base) force her to watch because they ( and The government of Acka) despise of Dr.Ember Ree.

Btw, Ember is a good scientist and does not make weapons os mass destruction.

' mushroom-make you grow' haha! I knew where you got that from.

The ray is used to enlarge missals, in hopes that Acka can destroy America in one piece.

How would an enlarged Ember/two scientist escape from an underground military base?

I always though of all of the other scientist fleeing/trying to get a hold of them. The enlarged doctor's fight ( as in are trying to restrain Ember, which does not work because they are smashed up against a wall.) Their weight/from banging Ember's head against the wall/kicking etc ( you know, fighting ) weaken it and they flee into the cold bear woods.

Btw, the room is large, so with all of them they take up more than half of the room.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:00 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Just a quick note about the sizes question. A regular one story building is about 15 feet. A twenty or thirty looks like a regular-sized house. If you're thinking skyscraper size ala Monster vs. Aliens, then consider more than a hundred feet. If you're thinking smaller ala Mario, then twenty below is fine.
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:01 am
DiskElemental says...

30 feet is about 9.4 meters, 20 feet is about 6.25 meters.
A man without a plan, or anything else for that matter. (Except a review thread).

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
— Mark Twain