z

Young Writers Society

How might a 13 year old girl act during this time period?

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:00 am
Supermeggs12 says...

My story is set in 1940s England, so how might a girl of the age of 13? Especially one who is starting to go through puberty?

I read The Diary of Anne Frank, but I'm still not sure yet. :(

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:04 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

If I might suggest, my dear hunter of Payon (I think. Your avie looks really like it came from Ragnarok), read works like Pygmallion, Scarlet Letter, Little Woman and Great Expectations. They may be from different eras of time, and not all of them actually star young 13 year old women, but most of the motifs they use can help you plan out with children.

Anyways, moving on :D Let's tackle your question...by ELEMENT. *giggles for no apparent reason*

Schooling
Most of English schools those days we're coeducational, so girls have at least the same level of scholastic knowledge with their male counterparts. Albeit this fact, girls were encourage to focus more on cooking, needlework, housekeeping and child care. Thus, girls were expected to be their mothers' aide in doing chores.

Housework
Expanding on the chores part, due to the lack of machines before, everything seems to be a fuss, so young women are given house chores as if they were duties for them to strictly go through.

Leisure
Girls at an age of 13 are considered so much child-like before then, although their housework consists of tiring tasks. In fact, some of them used to play outside the streets freely. Although, you might consider this blooming age as romantic. Playing with dolls (in a very serious manner) and wondering about love absentmindedly are good starts. At the age of 13, some girls arrive at maturity, too, being the voice of reason between a game or such.

War
Let's face it, the girl should have seen at least part of the war. Unlike boys who tend to feel the air of excite during those times, girls of puberty age seem to have started pondering about their fathers. Girls think of their pops highly during those times, if not adore them. So, as a part of being mature, it isn't trouble for them to be very cautious about everything and thoughtful of their fathers. This bases on their personalities, too, of course.

Puberty
In retrospect, almost everything is the same with today's AVERAGE puberty (meaning the girl is not a result of bad influence and is just a regular kinda person), just combine it with the lifestyle of the 40's and the stuff I've said above (especially the war part) and you've got yourself a young, 40's kinda gal.

Hope I helped :D
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:07 am
Supermeggs12 says...

AlfredSymon wrote:If I might suggest, my dear hunter of Payon (I think. Your avie looks really like it came from Ragnarok), read works like Pygmallion, Scarlet Letter, Little Woman and Great Expectations. They may be from different eras of time, and not all of them actually star young 13 year old women, but most of the motifs they use can help you plan out with children.

Anyways, moving on :D Let's tackle your question...by ELEMENT. *giggles for no apparent reason*

Schooling
Most of English schools those days we're coeducational, so girls have at least the same level of scholastic knowledge with their male counterparts. Albeit this fact, girls were encourage to focus more on cooking, needlework, housekeeping and child care. Thus, girls were expected to be their mothers' aide in doing chores.

Housework
Expanding on the chores part, due to the lack of machines before, everything seems to be a fuss, so young women are given house chores as if they were duties for them to strictly go through.

Leisure
Girls at an age of 13 are considered so much child-like before then, although their housework consists of tiring tasks. In fact, some of them used to play outside the streets freely. Although, you might consider this blooming age as romantic. Playing with dolls (in a very serious manner) and wondering about love absentmindedly are good starts. At the age of 13, some girls arrive at maturity, too, being the voice of reason between a game or such.

War
Let's face it, the girl should have seen at least part of the war. Unlike boys who tend to feel the air of excite during those times, girls of puberty age seem to have started pondering about their fathers. Girls think of their pops highly during those times, if not adore them. So, as a part of being mature, it isn't trouble for them to be very cautious about everything and thoughtful of their fathers. This bases on their personalities, too, of course.

Puberty
In retrospect, almost everything is the same with today's AVERAGE puberty (meaning the girl is not a result of bad influence and is just a regular kinda person), just combine it with the lifestyle of the 40's and the stuff I've said above (especially the war part) and you've got yourself a young, 40's kinda gal.

Hope I helped :D

Thanks! I'll keep all of this in mind :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:09 am
toomanykids says...

honestly, for your question, the first thing you do for that kind of question is Research & Google

You can not put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator.
— alliyah