z

Young Writers Society

Creating a rarely used conflict

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:49 pm
babymagic18 says...

This is my issue, I've come to realize. I cannot create a story idea without an idea for a conflict. Lately I've been wanting to use a conflict that's rarely been used...but the problem with that is, I honestly haven't a clue as to what. There are so many amazing stories out there, but I don't want to recycle ideas that have been tired out. I want to have that conflict in my story that people will pause and say...I haven't read this one before. I want to have that wow factor. I need an inspiration so strong it will really get my creative juices flowing.

So I was wondering...anyone have anything happen in there lives that I wouldn't find in a novel that's already been published? :smt002

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:11 am
AlfredSymon says...

Hey Baby! I cam here not because I experienced a tremendous amount of story in my life, but to give tips about your situation.

So first, you see, I think what you're asking is a bit difficult. See, not everyone has experienced something astounding in their lives. And if there are some who had, when would they post? Or, are they even here at the YWS? Let's not waste time my dear! It's time to make your own conflict! :D

I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT. Why? Well, a conflict usually comes to a writer when he/she needs it. A voluntary one is a rare instance, and is usually taken only as a subplot, allusion to the main plot or basis for a biography. A thought about one is also hard, but not entirely rare. You see, the best conflicts usually come to a person when he hardly wonders for it. Think of it as a work of fate. You might see a person there, on the street, and wonder about him. Then you'd just ask your question: why is he like that? What happened? Maybe...And that's where it will come. Your thought which appeared mostly by luck.

I know it's hard to play with fate, but if you'd like to make a more original plot, something you made YOURSELF, then try to call for it. Every conflict, though, are not wholly original. See, whatever conflict it is, it falls on these certain categories:

External Conflict
This is where a character battles an outside force, either a living thing, a group or even the society or natural forces. It could be a hero who's facing a villain. Or maybe even a man trying to survive a disaster. Usually, there is no change in character, but more on facing something one of the characters' opposed to.

Internal Conflict
This is where he faces himself. A common idea is a man's journey to change himself. It could also be fighting for a choice or decision.

With these idea in mind, I hope you have an idea on what conflict appeals to you more. When you've chosen what you're comfortable to, then start from it, think of the character, the forces who oppose the character, and the why and how. This will be your...ta-da!...conflict :D

Well anyways, good luck writing!

Yours indefinitely,
Alf :D
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:40 pm
Stori says...

I know it's hard to find good school stories today- i.e. those that actually have a point to them. Personally I've always enjoyed the writing of Andrew Clemens. Have a look at it and see if anything inspires you?

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:48 pm
Cadi says...

I've often heard it said that there is no such thing as an original idea. When you get right down to it, we've told all the different kinds of story, and all we're really doing is telling them again in a different way.

If you really want to boil things down, there are only a handful of types of conflict: [I yanked these from here and tweaked them a little - probable language warning on that link.]

Character Vs. Themself
The main character has an issue with themself.

Character Vs. Character
The main character has an issue with someone else.

Character Vs. Nature
The main character is dealing with Mother Nature's wrath. Can include stories of survival and natural disasters.

Character Vs. Society
The main character has a problem with societal norms/traditions/concepts.

Character Vs. Supernatural
The main character has angered demons, angels, spirits, monsters, God or the Devil, or any other being you want to think up.

Character vs. Machine/Technology
e.g. The Terminator. Or your MC could be having it out with the microwave at home.

Character vs. Destiny
The main character doesn't want to be a architect/doctor/lawyer, they just want to dance. But their fate seems sealed.

When I put it like this, for a moment it might seem like there isn't a point writing anything at all. But the point is, we all write these things in different ways, and it's the difference in the how we tell these conflicts that makes them interesting. So if you get an idea for something, don't throw it away because it's "been done before"!

If you're feeling like all you think of is just 'too cliche', no matter what I say about 'everything has been told', how about this for an exercise: pick one of the conflicts above (roll a dice or google a random number generator, maybe), and then think about what plot you could make from it. Throw away your first idea! And your second! Only when you get to a third one, write that. This is an exercise my English teacher used to set us for thinking of original first sentences for essays. :)
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer.
— Robert Frost