z

Young Writers Society

Estates in England?

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:45 am
EloquentDragon says...

(Sorry, I'm not terribly familiar with England's geography. :mrgreen: )

Right now I have a part of my story where the guy stays at his uncle's estate (in England)
So, where's an inconspicious place to stick a ficticious estate? I'm thinking forested/mountain area, but maybe with more open land surrounding on the low plains. Think horse property. The uncle's really rich, but not eccentric, so he'd have a larger plot of land (I'm thinking)

I'll worry about getting specifics and details down later on, I just need a general location.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:02 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Hey Elo! I'm not an English myself, but I am a fanatic of places, so maybe I could sneak in a few places which may strike your interest?

Robertsbride
The place doesn't exactly exude the powerful, relaxing country feel. It's surrounded by wood and hill, yes, but the modern life is still present in some parts. The reason why I think this is a possible place is that it nestles within acres of woodlands. There might be a space there where you can put up the estate of the uncle which can be perfect if you want the place to be a bit nearer to society.

Walthamstow Marshes
If you've a taste for wetter climate, then the marshes are for you. The place is a good enough expanse and although some towns line most forms of water, there are some untocuhed riverbanks in there waiting for the next great estate.

Thetford Forest by Suffolk and Norfolk
A preserve at its best, some areas are strictly forbidden from commercial use. So, why consider this? This was used as a strategic point during the World War, so an estate can be established there, an old rendezvous of soldiers turned to mansion. Not only that, the beautiful song of the woods can charm your characters :)

Sorry for the very advertising tone, but hey, we're talking places here! I hope I helped in any way, or even give some ideas for you to think out!

Good luck!

Yours indefinitely,
Alf :)
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

192 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:58 pm
EloquentDragon says...

Thanks for your help, Al

I was actually thinking somewhere up North a bit, like Lancashire or closer to Scotland. Suffolk looks promising though. I'll check into it.

Enter, if you dare.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:26 pm
Blues says...

Just a quick thing: I usually see estate used to mean 'council estate' - usually a group of a block of flats owned by the council where people live in if they cannot afford to get a house of their own. Private estate would be what they would call it here ;)

There are a few places in London (like Walthamstow Marshes!) that would be a place you could find private estates although they are at protected sites. Have you thought of Surrey which isn't very far from London, or the Lake District which is in the North West?

192 Reviews

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:42 am
EloquentDragon says...

Lake District seems ideal, but Surrey might work too.
(And this gal I talked to from Wales said estate, but I can say "private estate" to make you happy. :P Hey, at least I didn't call it a "manor")

Enter, if you dare.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:42 pm
Blues says...

xD

Maybe it's a London thing because there are many of that kind... and not that many private ones.

“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince