z

Young Writers Society

Fight Scenes

Reviews: 0
Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:50 pm
OokamiKitsune says...

I am in the middle of my story and I cannot seem to get it sounding the way I want it to.

The scene has two straight guys fighting- one with a Tizona Del Cid his name is Von and the other has a normal Broad Sword and is named Max. O and they time period is during the 1400's England area. If anyone has any advise PLEASE tell me :idea:
Every hello is the prologue to the knowing farewell, so make as many stories as you can:)

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:49 pm
View Likes
ClaireBear says...

Some research would be good. Study the general ways they fought back then.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:20 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Also keep in mind any armour they might be wearing, the setting, the weather. All of that will change how the people move.

After that, try not to focus on the mechanics of how they move and more on the emotions therein. Scrambling, fumbling, pressing forward, drawing blood. That, to me, is what makes a fight interesting.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:54 pm
View Likes
EloquentDragon says...

^^^Dittto

If you're writing a time piece than research is key, not just for fight scenes but for everything. For example, a guy would probably not be named Von or Max, and broad swords weren't as common as short swords. In fact, if it's late 14th century they would probably be using rapiers or later swords. (I'm trying to pull this off the top of my head here.)

Anyways.

When it comes to writing a fight scene, the key is suspense. Not necessarily action, but suspense. It's key here in order to create a compelling scene. How does one create suspense? Through the situation---what is dire to the characters? Through their actions and dialogue, through the carefully crafted prose that lends itself to a tense mood that grips the reader's interest.

Now, obviously, no one expects to write this on draft #1. You'll have to revise until you get it just right. Good fight scnenes are a combination of grace in the presentation and the brutal facts of violence (generally speaking, you can have a fight with relatively little violence, but it might not be too interesting.)

My advice would be to picture the scene in your head as a movie, then simply transcribe what you see. This is my method. Keep the sentences short---it accelerates things and that's what you want for a suspenseful fight scene. Write rough, ignoring (for the most part) grammar and structure, just let the words flow. You can edit later, but this is a great method for capturing the energy/adrenaline.

My advice isn't law, people use their own unique methods. Just some opinion though, so you can ignore it if you like. The most important thing is to actually sit down and write the thing. So, what the heck, go for it!

(And good luck)
~ED
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:19 pm
OokamiKitsune says...

Thanks for the pointers I will do some research and try and get a good since of what kinds of armor and weaponry would be better. Thanks a LOT
Every hello is the prologue to the knowing farewell, so make as many stories as you can:)

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 pm
Caesar says...

If you link me to the actual fight scene (on titanpad/WFP or something, maybe), I can probably help you smooth out any eventual logistic/combat technique flaws.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:22 pm
Lothbrok says...

There are far too many variables in a fight at that time if you are wanting advice. Are they nobles or commoners as they're fighting styles will be different.
Are they trying to kill each other or this it a duel - people's fighting styles can change immensely between the two.
Are they wearing armour or not?
They're are huge tomes from the times on fighting styles and tactics just because of the pure number of ways there were back then.
For example is you're opponent in armour and all you've got is a sword? A best bet is to grip your sword by the blade then whack him on the head with the pommel. Once he's on the ground you slide your sword through his visor or through a gap in the armour. And as a tip while plate armour is heavy for a man who trains from his youth to fight in it it does not slow him down as much as old stories would have you think.

EloquentDragon wrote:^^^Dittto
In fact, if it's late 14th century they would probably be using rapiers or later swords. (I'm trying to pull this off the top of my head here.)
~ED

If its early 15th century then the rapiers had yet to come into use however if its late then the are more likely to be coming into use.
If at first you don't succeed then destroy any evidence that you ever tried

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:02 pm
OokamiKitsune says...

Link :
http://www.textnovel.com/story/A-Wolfs- ... c/9494/47/

this is what i got when I went back through it.

Von's eyes watched as the other squires and knights watched Max. Von had to admit he was a little jealous of Max's certainty and bluntness. He would never have asked someone who just got out of the hospital to a practice match, then again he also wouldn't skip class half the year and never would he have missed practice every day.

"You want a handicap?" Even if he was injured he could take someone who never practiced with a sparring partner was not going to be a problem.

"I think I'll be okay, you want one?" A grin stretched a crossed Max's face as he sheathed his blade and took a strange stance in the ring.

'Whats with this guy? He's acting like he already won. Well let’s see how he likes being beat.' Von thought as he gripped his swords hilt and unsheathed it.

"Ready when you are, Max." Von pulled his sword and gripped it with both hands. It wasn't anything special but it had a good weight to it so Von wasn't complaining. He had used a broad sword before so he was used to them but he preferred his own blade that his father had made for him when he became a knight.

"Well then, shall we?” Max asked pulling a dagger from his right sleeve and spinning so the blade's point faced to his right in his left hand. Von ground his teeth and raced toward him.

"Don't mock me!" he yelled hitting Max's dagger with his sword, the two blades collided, sliding a crossed one another and letting out a sharp shriek. Max spun his dagger so it was parallel to his arm and the edge was facing away from him. With a glare and a demonic grin at Von, Max returned the attack with a quick and accurate motion. Max stood up straight and stepped back two paces as Von touched his face with his fingers, warm and wet blood stained his fingertips red. Looking across at Max, who seemed very pleased with himself

“Tsh. Don’t….” Von said as he closed his eyes. “Mock! ME!” He finished advancing with his sword ready in hand. Max lifted the dagger for defense and his right arm up, just in case.

“Come. Von.” Max said as Von’s blade hit his own once more. “You won’t get even a scratch on me if you keep fighting that way.” Max said as he defended Von’s attempt to attack. Max sighed, not from getting tired but from extreme boredom. ‘Time to get this fight started.’ Max thought as he shifted his weight to his left foot, waited for Von’s next swing and blocked with his dagger, using his right foot to do a thrust kick to Von’s upper chest. The impact caused Von’s feet to stumble backward.

‘Why? Why?’ Von thought as he clinched the blade in his right hand and narrowed his eyes while looking at the ground. ‘Why can’t I hit him? Just one hit, that’s all I need. But why is it that I can’t even land one hit?’ Von glanced up to see Max smirking and re-sheathing his dagger. It pissed him off, a lot. ‘The nerve of that bastard to put his weapon away during a fight.’

“What I’m I not worth your time anymore?” Von yelled at Max, placing both hands back on his sword and holding it up. “Even if you re-sheath your blade I won’t back down.”

“Oh, is that so?” Max said looking at the very frustrated yet determined opponent of his. ‘His aura is different this time, it’s about time I got serious.’ Max let out a small laugh as he thought.

“Alright then, I’ll fight you seriously from now on. Then we’ll see how much more you need to practice.”

“SHUT UP!” Von said running toward Max ‘He still doesn’t have a weapon, o well.’ Von thought as he proceeded with his attack.

“Don’t blame me if you get injured.” Von loosened his left hand from the hilt and swung the blade as fast as possible. Dust lifted from the ring’s floor, though when it settled Von eyes widened. “How?” Von said not believing what he saw- anything. Not Max, nor drops of blood, just the spectators on the outside of the ring.

“How indeed?” Max’s voice echoed next to Von’s head. Max stood with his back inches from Von’s. “That speed was extremely impressive; I am surprised that you didn’t get my clothing. Then again I have probably had worse training than you.” Von’s eyes slowly glanced to his right so he could get a small glimpse behind him.

“Fool.”

“Why!” Von replied automatically.

“You are a F O O L.” Max said sarcastically slowly. Von’s grip tightened and his free hand created a fist at his side. “But, you have fire in your eyes so I wouldn’t say you’re a waste of my time, more like you aren’t at my level so I will fight you serious if you wish it, however you will lose.”

The audience started watching more attentively and gathered to watch as the two stood back to back.

“Now then let’s start this match. Ready?” Max said pulling his sheathed sword from his belt and swinging it to his left. Von moved his blade to block Max’s from hitting the side of his abdomen. Von turned and looked at Max, who seemed different. His eyes were narrowed, darker and his overall posture seemed darker. ‘It’s like he is a different person, but why would have a fight change him so much? Unless...’ Von looked over Max’s person and the blade he was now welding. ‘Could it be that Max has fought an opponent that only thought of killing him? Is it possible that Max has been fighting for his life instead of practicing with someone who was trying to teach him to fight? I knew he wasn't from around here but how bad could someone his age have had it so far." Von thought as Max came for another attack. ‘Another thing is that blade he has it reminds me of one of Scarlet’s four blades - A Dragon Sword, extremely rare and impossible to break. But why would Max have one?’ Max moved forward swinging his sword at Von who pushed the blade around in a circle until the two swords split apart. Von breathed heavy as his chest began to burn; he wasn’t used to such violent attacks at a fast speed or for long periods of time.

Max swiped his blade, this time it ripped Von’s loose tunic. Max spun on his feet to turn his body so he could get in another swing within seconds.

"Not this time buddy." Von said blocking Max's sword and punching Max in his face. Max feet slid back, but only a few inches. Max glanced at Von who was, to Max’s surprise, still standing and willing to fight. Max grinned again as Von took the offensive and went for another hit, although this time he got his sword to rip a piece of Max’s tunic. Max used his sword to push Von back, who braced his sword’s dull edge with his left hand. Max used his foot to kick Von off balance and land on his back. Though Von still persisted to fight back. Max used his right hand to hold his sword against Von’s and his left to draw his other blade. This one was slimmer, and shorter than the Dragon Sword. It had a spay-point and the blade itself was made from a unique ore, one Von had never seen at his father’s workshop. It was a beautiful blade in all, Von might have appreciated it a little more if it wasn’t two inches from his head and stabbed into the ring’s floor.

"Von! Stop this already, Max don't hurt him! Please!" Max froze as Elspeth's voice called as she pushed through the massive crowd that had gathered until her hands landed on the ring's mat. Max didn’t want to end to fight however harming someone who was already hurt was not something Max was going to be known for. As Max released his pressure on Von’s blade Kedna emerged from the mat as a shadow until he became a solid object again.

“Max, front gate NOW!” Max glanced at his companion with curiosity “It’s Iku.” Max sheathed both his blades and mounted Kedna’s back.

“Get everyone into the castle who cannot fight and anyone who can to the front gates.” Max yelled at the Knights.

“Why?!” one yelled back as Kedna ran through the arena’s wall and straight to the city’s main gate.

If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
— Anatole France