z

Young Writers Society

Using close sounding names

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:11 pm
babymagic18 says...

When creating characters for a story I've read it's not okay to use names that have the same first letter or sound especially close together. Lately though I've had a different opinion about that. I feel it brings something good to the story when one does so. What opinion does everyone else have?

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:05 pm
View Likes
MagnusBane says...

Personally, I try to avoid using similar names, at least for my main characters. It just makes the story easier to read. This certainly isn't the rule, though. Look at Harry and Hermione. No one ever confused them! As long as you don't have Mike and Mark and Michelle as your main characters, it should be okay.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:02 pm
Rosendorn says...

It depends on how close. If you have only one or two letter difference, and both have major roles (especially on the same side), it can get really confusing. However, in a school setting, you often run across names that are similar or the same.

It's a balance between what's realistic and what's easy to keep track of. I personally keep track of names through first sounds, so if there are two names that start with Ro- I'm going to mix them up, pretty much guaranteed. Other people keep track through first and last letter.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:36 am
OrionX says...

You could use it to your advantage to *hint* something. Close sounding names might indicate a twin: "Tim and Tom".

Or only make the last part of a name sound alike, often there is still a difference: "Dominique, Angelique".

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:43 am
DragonGirl11 says...

For the short story I'm writing at the moment, I have a Garrett and a Fletcher-Gareth. That's partly because the names are straight out of a dream I had the other night, and partly because it's going to be a plot point where other characters mix up their names. I think. But usually, I try to avoid it as much as possible.
~*~

"You could look at the raindrops on your window, or you could look through the window and see the rainbow."
~K.C. Oxford

<YWS>

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:17 am
ElementalBlood says...

There are circumstances where it's allowed and sometimes expected, like between a parent and child. In the novel I'm working on the father is Rory and his son is named Rosario. Or titles where someone who assumes a role might have something about their names that sets them apart from other people. Like if all people who pass a certain test have a prefix or suffix added to their name, or they're given a name that starts with a certain letter. It just has to be done in a way that makes sense. It can be an excellent plot point and create intrigue, so don't be afraid of it :)
Who's ever name is written in this note shall die.
My allegiance is to L, the world's greatest detective.
But my twisted mind enjoys Kira's exploits.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:11 pm
Blues says...

I read a book once where two characters had the same name. Even then it wasn't as confusing as you'd expect - the only main issue for me was when someone who knew both was referring to one of them.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:25 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

I usually try to avoid this too, because I prefer all the characters having a unique name - not necessarily "unique" as it is, like Gh'azltanq, but unique to that story. So, no more than one Jane per story.

Sometimes you can really notice what sort of names the author likes though. I'm all for consistency, but with names, I think it's quite different!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Why is my dog your fig father????
— JazzElectrobass