z

Young Writers Society

Time Travel or Teleportation devices

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:22 am
babymagic18 says...

So I got to thinking about writing a future story of a girl who has the gift of vision.

Her visions lead her to an attic...not known where as of yet, as this is an inkling of an idea.

She comes across a wooden chest with intricate detail. Opening the chest she pulls back a piece of fabric to reveal....

This is where I'm stuck.

Does she see a mirror, a sword, a ring, necklace or even bracelet, a book perhaps?

There are so many possibilities it could be but I only need one.

What would be the safest option?

I was leaning towards the sword or book.

I've wanted to write a story like this for a while I just wanted some opinions first.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:36 am
haven235 says...

It would depend on where you'd like to place the event. But seeing that the title is "Time Travel or Teleportation Devices," why not make it so? Like having the bottom of the chest be some pit that leads the girl somewhere, like, maybe the past, and have that her visions become visions that lead to something from that past? That's what I think you should do.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:32 am
Rosendorn says...

Could you please define "Safe"?

One thing to remember: This will be a very significant item. Try to think of what relates to the MC, the plot, some of the concepts you want to present in the book. Will she take it with her? If yes, then that item will become one of her few constants. It will hold a lot of sentimental value to her, no matter how much she hates the thing for moving her around.

Does she only use one such device, or does she teleport/time travel multiple times? If she only uses one, then it can be anything, really. But it would be nice to have a touch of symbolism— a sword for cutting off her past life, a book for getting lost in the pages, a ring for infinity.

If she travels multiple times, you have the option of making it the same item every time, or making it a different item each time. If you make it the same item, then you could either have it be something unusual that lets her know she's about to jump around, or something mundane and she keeps accidentally moving through time and space (possibly even becomes afraid of that type of item, not wanting to come into contact with a jump. Or, she seeks it out to get back) If it's a different item each time, it could represent what's about to happen or has just happened.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:28 pm
EloquentDragon says...

*tsk tsk tsk*

Avoid the Narnia trap.

That is, don't just copy what other people have used in the past, go for the un-ordinary and the non-cliche. If you must use the aforementioned items, make them unique (maybe the sword can talk, the ring morphs into armor? i don't know...) but most importantly, make it RELEVANT. It has to fit your story, otherwise you're just throwing in some cheesy junk no one will want to read.

Now, what items haven't been done before, let's see.... a fishing pole? Perhaps a refridgerator (oh wait, scratch that...) or, I got it... a telephone booth!!!
On a more serious note you could go with something creepy or something delicate/beautiful. (What about an empty jar or a key/locket or something?)

Get those creative juices flowin!
(and good luck)

~ED
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:33 am
nomadpenguin says...

I think it would be cool to have a living thing in it, maybe a bird or something. Also, it might be cool if her visions were caused by her own future time traveling...make any sense to you?
I’m being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it’s not polite.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:47 pm
Stori says...

It doesn't have to be an object. Perhaps it's a specific place or even an event caused by divine power. That being said, no one likes a story that "preaches" or tries to shove a certain belief or concept in your face.

If it's a specific location, you could have it change with the time period (i.e. a house that's ruined in the present might be whole in the past.)

"While we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."
— Albus Dumbledore