z

Young Writers Society

Beginning A Novel?

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:55 pm
Hiccup says...

So, I'm having trouble with a story I'm planning to write. I've been a little jittery with the whole process, as I've always ventured towards beginning the first chapter and give up on the spot.

Would it sound funny if I were to start it off in the process of a fight scene? The main character is inflicted with a demon, but she simply wakes up in the middle of it, and doesn't have a clue what's going on.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:12 pm
Stori says...

Seeing how modern readers tend to like action, that would be fine.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:10 pm
Rosendorn says...

That type of beginning is known as in medias res, which translates to "in the middle" (roughly). In writing context, this means throwing people into a conflict and letting them figure out what is going on.

The general point to a beginning is what will be interesting to read. So long as you make it interesting, you can do pretty much whatever you want.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:55 am
EloquentDragon says...

Right. Also note that when starting out writing your story, you needn't write the first chapter first. And don't try to aim for perfection right off the bat either---that's what 3rd, 4th,... drafts are for!

So if your nervous or don't know how to start--- don't worry about it. You can always change things later.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:08 pm
Fallingslowly says...

I kinda started one..I just posted the beginning, can you give me a review please? I'm pretty young, so It's not gonna be the best, but I need alot of feedback and stuff, for my editing, and so i can make it better. Thanks!~ :) :arrow:

There has never been a sadness not cured by breakfast food.
— Ron, Parks & Rec