z

Young Writers Society

**Writing a Vignette for English class!

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:15 pm
AngieCandy says...

We are discussing vignettes in English class right now. She says we have to write about something that occurred in our lives that may or may not have been negative but has changed us for the better. I was thinking writing about when I moved from Puerto Rico and how I felt about that and how it has changed me more than anything in my life...When I write, I tend to write A LOT. Especially if I'm going to write about this. Can vignettes be long? If so, HOW long?
Thanks,
Ang
"Everybody stares, as she goes by
'Cause they can see the
flame that's in her eyes
Watch her when she's lighting up the night
Nobody knows that she's a lonely girl
And it's a lonely world
But she gon' let it burn
, baby,burn,baby"

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:45 pm
Rosendorn says...

The very definition of a vignette is that the work is short.

Vignettes focus on a single moment. A blip on the radar, so to speak, and expand on it. Most vignettes I've seen are a single scene, spanning a rather short amount of time. The emphasis is exploring a moment and, in this case, its ramifications on you.

You can also focus on a single character, setting, idea or object. But the key in that sentence is "single". You focus on one thing and its ramifications on you.

Therefore, no. Vignettes cannot be long. You must boil everything down to a pebble landing in water, and the ripple it creates.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

The only way of knowing a person is to love them without hope.
— Walter Benjamin