z

Young Writers Society

Surgery Scene in Novel Question

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:05 pm
View Likes
ArahAkachi1 says...

So, my novel has six main characters, and one of them is injured so bad, they need medical attention. It's one of the co-main, not the narrator. So, when they get to the hospital, is it possible for me to switch to the surgery scene?
Writing your name can lead to writing sentences. And then the next thing you'll be doing is writing paragraphs, and then books. And then you'll be in as much trouble as I am!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:01 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Switching PoVs usually requires a establishing you're going to do so. For that draft, you could switch for just that scene, but in later drafts, you'll likely have to switch PoVs before and after that scene to create a pattern.

However, why would you want to show the surgery scene?

The character is very likely under anesthetic, and/or in so much pain they're likely incoherent and trying to not think about what is being done to them. It's very difficult to get the medical process right, let alone interesting (I'm not including med students in this, because they've studied for many years to get it right), and thinking about guts, blood, and injuries makes a lot of people uncomfortable.

There'd be a lot more emotional impact to stay with the narrator, and watch the worry in the group as they wait for news, or hear news. You can have them imagine what needs to happen, wonder what's going to happen next, how much recovery is needed (Even a "simple" surgery can require a lot of after care), a whole bunch of other stuff. Doctors will come out periodically and say how the surgery is going, either after the major issue has been solved or after the surgery is done (depends on various factors, such as length of the surgery and what it's for).

Trying to do the pain of surgery justice might turn a lot of people off, emotionally, as they don't want to really get into the narrator's head in that state of mind. It's often more relatable to put people in the worry of friends, because a lot of us have been in a really similar situation.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:43 pm
View Likes
Stori says...

I'm not an expert, but it should be fine.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:42 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Hi,

Well, I do enjoy reading medical fiction a lot. So, as a writer - first decide on whether you want to emphasize the process of surgery or the emotions. For the process, it's best to use a standalone, POV or that of an intern/doc in the op theatre. But for emotions, I'd say pick someone who's a friend of the injured, perhaps watching the surgery from outside.
But, if you *are* writing about the surgery, please do extensive research when you write about it. I hate it when people use the wrong words/drugs etc. If you can't do a lot of research, then I'd suggest against this POV.

I find that Robin Cook writes pretty well about the med scenes. Try reading one of his books to get an idea.

(PS. Rosey. That reminded me of thinking about Stellen, as our med student! XD)
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:13 pm
ArahAkachi1 says...

Ok, Thanks. I'll make an attempt at the surgery scene.
Writing your name can lead to writing sentences. And then the next thing you'll be doing is writing paragraphs, and then books. And then you'll be in as much trouble as I am!

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:29 am
queenofscience says...

I like the subject about the human body/medicine ( oh, yes, I've done lots of research on history and such.) However, I hate doctors because of the testing. I usealy at the eye doctor for houres ( yes, i'm visualy imparred. To put it simply, I have limited vision in my right eye and have no lens in my left ( it was surgicaly removed) So, i'm blind in my left eye eventhough I can detect colors, but my vision is extreamly blurry. And I have Glachomma and ROP and other probleams with my eyes. ( I can explane if anyone has questions.)

But hey, I write like crazy. Don't be afraid to ask me questions.

Have you've ever read " Demon in the freezer " It's about the Anthrax scare back in 2002. And it tells about hemorrhaging pox which is the most dangrus of the Pox. Because of the hemorrhaging, it's almost like Ebola, which, under the microscope, lookes likes worms. Ebola is also certainly fatal. And I know the symptoms of this and more about disease and the human body and such. Super fascinating.

If you like MD stuff, read Ember's Apprentices ( by me, i'm still re writing it in first person. I will post a few chapters soon) First book has to do with a disease and the second has to do with the human body.

I even have a water bear in it. Look up water bear if you don't know what I am talking about they are soo cute!!
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
— William Shakespeare