z

Young Writers Society

First Person POV for three characters

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:48 pm
babymagic18 says...

I know this sounds totally crazy even to my own ears but I was wondering if it was possible in a novel. I have three very different characters in my novel but all their lives meet in the story so can I tell their stories in first person? Or do you think it would be best to have them all in third person which in terribly hard for me to do. :?

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:23 pm
Audy says...

It's your novel! Don't let anyone tell you what you can or can't do. Go for it!

There are actually quite a few novels that have an alternating 1st person POV. Jodi Picoult does this I think in My Sister's Keeper. It all depends on what you aim to do, and as you say you have 3 distinct characters, so long as you take care to keep each voice distinct from one another, then your readers shouldn't have trouble differentiating who's who.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:13 pm
Rosendorn says...

Just remember to make each voice reflect the radically different characters, and you should be fine. Another suggestion is to switch chapters every time you switch PoVs, and each chapter name is the name of the character. Just to make it easier at the beginning to tell what you're doing.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:42 pm
Stori says...

Another good example of this kind of writing is the historical fiction novel When My Name Was Keoko.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:20 pm
EloquentDragon says...

Or, another good example (using many more than just three characters in 1st POV) is East, a retelling of beauty and the beast.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:29 pm
Blues says...

I did this in my novel and it's easy once you know how it works. I originally started with more points of view than I do now, so I would advise you to make sure that all the point of views are necessary. Could you do without them or would it suffer?

Either way, go for it! It's great fun to write :3

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
— Corrie Ten Boom