z

Young Writers Society

A Very Simple Question: Any Topics for an Editorial?

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:21 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Heya! Thanks for drooping by my post! As I've said, I need a good idea for an Editorial. I'm writing this for the school newspaper, so something cool, new, current, interesting and engaging for the youth.

And also, any tips for a good editorial? It's my first--and last 'cause I'd be moving on to college next year--editorial, I do know the ropes for it, but some ideas can really help a ton!

Thanks in advance :D !

Your queerest questioneer,
Alf
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:58 am
View Likes
EloquentDragon says...

*Has always wanted to do an editorial*

I would pick a subject that hasn't been done before...what appeals to you? Either that or something controversial, like politics, but that might not go so well. (Certianly wouldn't want to be controversal now, would we? :mrgreen: )
As far as tips and tricks, just write naturally, like anything. And write it fast. You can always revise later. I would reccomend keeping a clear, direct style. Something easy to read without too much verbiage thrown in there. Don't try to sound intelligent, write it in an engaging way that keeps everyone's interests. For me personally, that means brief and to the point, but most certainly not dry. Don't write it like your writing an editorial, if that makes sense.
You can always change things up too, why not start off with an anecdotal opening? Or a small poem or quote to start things off, anything that gets those creative juices flowing.
Keep in mind, that the biggest thing here is to have fun, and that your readers have fun too. They need to walk away with something satisfying, something worth their time. Which means quality.
So choose your words carefully, but the one thing I would say is "hack at it!"
~ED
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:09 pm
Lauren2010 says...

From someone who worked on her school newspaper, editorials always seem to be most effective when they're about something students at your school are actively and currently interested/caring about. So events actually going on in your school, changes coming to the district or school system, or even things going down in your hometown are all good options.

On the other hand, look into things teenagers are into. You could pull things from areas like music, television, the internet, film, etc. So long as you can figure something interesting with lots of varied opinions on it you can make it an editorial.

You're also in the unique position of being someone currently in a transitional place in your life. A lot happens in your last year of high school and in that move between being a high school teenager and a college young adult. You could always pull from how you're feeling about that change, and the things you're doing to get ready for it, as well as the ways you know your peers are handling it or feeling about it.

Regardless, it should be something that you care about and are invested it because then you'll have a strong basis to work from! :)
Got YWS?

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
— Winston Churchill