z

Young Writers Society

Only writing when 'emotional'

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:17 am
Bryn says...

So I'm having a different kind of writers block I believe. I've kinda of always noticed it but haven't thought anything of it. But uh yeah, I pretty much can only write well, when I'm angry or sad. If I'm either of those I can spit some pretty good stuff out but when I want to just to unravel, de-stress kind of writing I can't. And it's so frustrating because I have ideas they just won't form themselves onto paper or computer screens. o.0

So any ideas, so you all don't have to read either angry or sad poems from me? :?
help?
Courage is grace under pressure.-Ernest Hemingway
Have the courage to say no.
Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right.-Clement
Integrity is what we do, what we say, and what we say we do.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:22 pm
Twit says...

Well, if there's one thing that NaNoWriMo taught me, it's that sometimes you have to push through and keep on spewing out rubbish to get to the good stuff. I used to only write when I felt like it, or really felt like I had something to say, but now I feel like that so seldom that sometimes I have to force myself to write, even if what I feel I'm writing is utter bilge. The thing is that you can always go back and edit, but you can't edit a blank page. And sometimes when I look back at what I thought was crud, it's actually not as bad as I thought it was.

So, I don't know. Just try forcing yourself, I guess? But everyone writes differently, so go with what works for you.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:07 pm
Rosendorn says...

There are two schools of thought to writing:

School one: Those who write for pure enjoyment, on their own time, and don't plan on doing anything with it. These people usually write when bursts of inspiration come and are just fine with that, leaving ideas to simmer while they wait for more inspiration. If they get published, great. If not, that's fine.

School two: Those who write to get published. They tend to force themselves to put out a certain amount of writing in any given period of time, find the time to write, edit anything they need to, and generally have a "butt to chair, hands to keyboard, move fingers" attitude.

You just have to pick which school you want to be part in.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:56 pm
hockeyfan87 says...

I am the same way, however I learned how to deal with it. I start the story when I am sad or mad or whatever and then continue it later when I am non-emotional and on my free time. It just takes time but once you have the basis of the story(you got this from the emotional time period) then the rest should come easily.
when you grow up you realize that Prince Charming is not as easy to find as you thought. You realize the bad guy is not wearing a black cape and he's not easy to spot; he's really funny, and he makes you laugh, and he has perfect hair and isnt wearing a black cape and easy to spot Lots of Love Jenn

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:14 pm
writerwithacause says...

I am like you, I guess, but for the moment I seem to be able to write whenever I want to, independently of my own emotional state. I can't manage to pull off more than 700-1000 words, though, but it is a step forward. :)

I think it comes with routine (sounds boring, eh?). You just have to decide for a writing plan... and very important, write every day! This is the cure for writer's block. Practice makes perfect in writing too. :) Also, have you tried to watch any sad, emotional movie before or listen to some music? I find Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, Tchaikovsky's Valse Sentimentale and any other piano piece does wonders to me and immediately brings me into that state I need. But sure, I write 19th century novel so that might not work for writing horror or some other genres... :P
Julie, a sucker for romance, historical fashion, medieval fairs and blues music. Add photography and you already know me 50%. The rest of me you'll discover through my writings and my photos.

my fictionpress
my greatest project, a history-inspired romance

In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian