z

Young Writers Society

Blog posting medieval recipes!

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:28 am
View Likes
silentpages says...

Okay, so it recently came to my attention how completely impractical the usual 'stew' would be when on a journey, etc. Figuring this out made me realize how little I know about what people in medieval times ate, among other little details that will probably show up in my stories sometime.

So, I was doing some casual research and found this blog:

http://thelifeandrecipesofamedievalcook ... kings.html

Apparently, they post recipes from some ancient cook book of a chef back in the day, and it looks legit. Already explains some food that they'd take on travels and stuff... So, I might be looking at this site more in the future. :) Figured I'd post it for anyone else interested. ^^
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

162 Reviews

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:46 pm
View Likes
silentpages says...

UPDATE: Okay, I've looked at the site a little more now.

The recipes are originally from the book of a king's chef, translated into modern English (accompanied by adapted recipes for modern cooks who feel like giving them a shot). The author not only translates/adapts the recipes, but she also accompanies them with a kind of story. The 'cook' who's sharing the recipes with us, alongside a lot of tidbits about life would've actually been like (based on the blogger's historical research).

All in all, it looks like a great site for gathering various details about medieval life. :)
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

162 Reviews

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:33 pm
silentpages says...

UPDATE: And here's another legit-seeming site! XD I'm getting really tempted to make one of my characters a cook in their next book...

http://www.godecookery.com/how2cook/how2cook.htm#top

Site layout is a bit odd, and it's still in progress, but it seems to have quite a bit of good information, including lists of what foods would've been used, and explanations about things like breakfast (or the lack of it) and trenchers.

Also, I have just learned that there were no potatoes in Medieval Europe. o.O EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A HISTORICAL INACCURACY.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:31 pm
Kale says...

Yup. Potatoes and tomatoes are native to the New World. ;P
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

162 Reviews

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:44 pm
silentpages says...

Mhm... And corn, I think? Which I think I remember from 5th grade history, now that I've been mulling it over... But still. Little things like that make me realize how little I currently know about a time period that some of my stories (kinda) take place in. XD

You are going to love some of your characters because they are you, or some facet of you, and you are going to hate some characters for the same reason.
— Anne Lamott