z

Young Writers Society

Oi! Kiwis! Get in here!

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:12 am
bubblewrapped says...

Yes, I'm talking to you. I need help with a story I'm writing - New Zealand, 1953-6. What was happening in NZ? What was it like? I need clothing, hairstyles, trends, fads, what was 'cool' and what wasnt, social rules, dating, slang, education, race relations, politics, science, psychiatry, expectations...pretty much everything and anything would be helpful. I cant seem to find ANYTHING on the net...its a bloody pain. Must go to the library tomorrow, but in the mean time anything you have - or can find out - would be much appreciated. Cheers mate!
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

Reviews: 2
Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:08 pm
Candyfloss says...

Hello! This may be a little late but I'll try to help anyways!

New Zealand has always been pretty much like Australia, however may have had some racial issues in the past between the Pakeha (European nzer) and the Maori, pretty much over the land.

It rains ALL THE TIME, so everything is green. Everywhere is lush rainforest, with prehistoric plants and amasing cliffs. The beaches on the west have black sand. We have floods, earthquakes every month because we are on the fault line, dormant volcanoes (hence lotr being filmed there), tornados and storms throughout every season. The landscape is much like Switzerland, eg the Southern Alps. In summer it reaches around 25 degrees celcius, compared to winter that hits -10. It snows down south, it's beauitful.

It's an isolated place that has alot to do with the Pacific Islands, and are exetremely proud of their Maori heritage, so look that up. Aeoteroa (Maori word for New Zealand) is very close with Samoa, Tonga, etc. There is a Moari Party is parliment. Most Pacificans live in the north island, where most of the population is. The south is comprised of farming, breathtaking landscape, small towns, etc. Stewart island is just a national park, no one lives on it.

Some random things apparently claimed by Kiwis= pavolova (a dessert), fish and chip shops, and jandels (flip flops)

Btw, New Zealand was apart of the ANZAC (Australian New Zealand Army Corpse) in the World War, think of that movie Pearl Harbour and how they dressed as well, believe it or not we are very Americanised lol.

Slang is worse than Australia, think "G-day mate". NZ has never been a formal country, they are laid back, they aren't a vain country, and have a dirty sense of humour.

Many hippies and gypsies live in the south, they have house buses with chimneys! There are many scientists trying to save the environment (greenies) however most of the population puts them down. New Zealand's wildlife, basically birds, are becoming quickly extinct, locals don't care at all. Possums are a huge pest, they have evolved into large carnivores and eat the birds. Origionally they were brought here to be hunted for fur, but now they are destroying the rainforest.

I would not tell people to live in New Zealand though. Crime is at large and the people are bitter. Plus travelling from one place ot the other is dreadful, New Zealand is just pretty much small towns and farms.

Anything else you need, any little tip or whatever on New Zealand, give me a buzz. Good luck <3
"Within dreams we are the masters, the painter to a canvas of broken stars."

Every first draft is perfect, because all a first draft has to do is exist.
— Jane Smiley