z

Young Writers Society

The Holocaust

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:12 am
Snoink says...

I'm trying to collect as much information as I can about the holocaust. I'm particularly interested in concentration camps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:07 am
View Likes
Fishr says...

Hmm... I used to know this subject fairly well in school, but unfortunately when you don't stick with something, you forget.

However, the most cruel concentration camp where very little survived was called Auschwitz. Here's a link to the death chamber. http://www.auschwitz-muzeum.oswiecim.pl ... /index.php I'm not trying to sound cliche but this was THE most place were genocide happaned, or rather attempted.

I can offer insight from the little I remember. My dad's boss was actually a survivor of Auschwitz. From the little my dad's boss mentioned on his own behalf (I'm sure it was a touchy subject so we never pressed him, even though I was extreamly curious) his dad, mom, brother and I think he had a sister too; all killed by the gas chamber. He said he was scalped, and damn near froze himself. He still bears the tattoo on, I think, on the top of his left hand.

If you don't know, everyone was marked, like that of today's prisonors except the identification number were tattooed. I did ask my dad if he (my dad's boss) ever thought about removing his ID mark. My dad made an excellent point. Why erase something that should have never happaned? It serves as a reminder and I guess his only link to his family. I felt, and still do, feel horriable that he lost his entire family. I think he was only seventeen or so when he was released. I don't remember for sure but he was very young. Today, he's well into his sixties.

On a side note, my second Uncle served in the Army in WW2. So, if you're looking for some insight on that, I might be able to help. At least, what I remember of how he acted. Good luck. Hope I helped a little.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:05 pm
View Likes
sabradan says...

I am your man "in the field" so to speak.

Ask me a question, I have the answer.

And actually, Fishr, Auschwitz is the most famous death camp, but more people were killed at the smaller ones throughout the Polish countryside. One of the worst ones was Majdanek, about an hour outside of Warsaw. About 85% of the inmates at Majdanek were killed straight off the train. And, the ID numbers were tatooed onto the left forearm.

There were 3 types of camps: Labor, Transport/transit, and extermination. Here is a list of the camps, the country theyre in, and what kind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_concentration_camps but some of the "main" or most known/noteable ones are: Auschwitz/Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland, Belzec also in Poland, Bergen-Belsen in Germany, Chelmno in Poland, Dachau in Germany, Majdanek in Poland, Malthausen in Austria, Sabibor in Poland, Treblinka also in Poland among others.

Get the pattern? Most of the most infamous ones are in Poland. I actually went to (visited) myself Majdanek and Auschwitz. It was definately a sobering experience.

There were many types of people killed in the Shoah (holocaust) other than Jews (they were just the majority). There was a total of between 10 and 12 million people killed, 6 of which were Jews. The rest was composed of Gypsies, Catholics, Slavs, political prisoners (i.e. Communists, other non-fascists), Prisoners of War, Gays, retards, and the physically handicapped.

If there is any other information you want/need just let me know.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:56 pm
Fishr says...

And, the ID numbers were tatooed onto the left forearm.
Ah, ok. For some reason, I remembered my dad telling something different. It has been a long time since remembering.

And actually, Fishr, Auschwitz is the most famous death camp, but more people were killed at the smaller ones throughout the Polish countryside. One of the worst ones was Majdanek, about an hour outside of Warsaw. About 85% of the inmates at Majdanek were killed straight off the train. And, the ID numbers were tatooed onto the left forearm.
I thought Auschwitz was the worst. I don't remember the death camp Majdanek, but yikes.. 85% killed straight of the train? *shudders*
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:24 am
Snoink says...

*shudders*

Thanks a lot for the help. It's kind of freaky... getting IDed by a tatoo with a number. Becoming a number instead of a human... weird.

Does anyone know what the gas actually did, as physically? Like, how did the gas react with the people? I know... it sounds like a sick question, but at the same time...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:52 am
Griffinkeeper says...

The gas used, according to the commadant of Auschwitz, was Zyklon B, it is a hydrocynic acid.

I found this description of the actual gassing:

"The door would now be quickly screwed up and the gas discharged by the waiting disinfectors through vents in the ceilings of the gas chambers, down a shaft that led to the floor. This insured the rapid distribution of the gas. It could be observed through the peephole in the door that those who were standing nearest to the induction vents were killed at once. It can be said that about one-third died straightaway. The remainder staggered about and began to scream and struggle for air. The screaming, however, soon changed to the death rattle and in a few minutes all lay still...The door was opened half an hour after the induction of the gas, and the ventilation switched on...The special detachment now set about removing the gold teeth and cutting the hair from the women. After this, the bodies were taken up by elevator and laid in front of the ovens, which had meanwhile been stoked up. Depending on the size of the bodies, up to three corpses could be put into one oven at the same time. The time required for cremation...took twenty minutes."

This link details this and many other horrors of Auschwitz, which has been making my stomach do all sorts of uncomfortable manuvers: http://www.spectacle.org/695/zyklonb.html
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:48 pm
Swires says...

I recommend watching "The Pianist" it shows some of the horrors that happened in these camps and how families were ripped apart.

Pre holocaust the Nurembourg laws were brought into germany. These basically said no aryan could marry a jew, jews couldnt be in public places etc... Jews were forced to clean the streets. Then they were put into like shantys cut off from water, electricity etc... And germans would just walk over these using bridges or underpasses.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:04 pm
Brigadier says...

The links here look a bit outdated so here are some of my suggestions based on resources I've used before.

History.com
It's always a good place to start. They'll have a general article and then it will slowly lead off in different directions to whatever you might need. And even if they don't have an article for a particular thing, you've now found this specific phrase to use elsewhere in your research.
https://www.history.com/topics/world-wa ... -holocaust

United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
There's obvious reasons why this website is the biggest source out there for whatever information someone might be trying to find on the Holocaust. This link leads you to the front page for their encyclopedia and once you're in the system, it should be easy to navigate. Just remember to keep opening those links in new tabs when you're compiling information.
If I'm remembering correctly for this source, there should be a fair amount of first hand accounts available.
https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/ ... -holocaust

Jewish Virtual Library
I have personally never used this one but I've heard good things. This one is probably more
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/an ... -holocaust

United to End Genocide
Another overall look but it's a good link off for pictures and further information sites.
http://endgenocide.org/learn/past-genoc ... holocaust/

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better.
— Anne Lamott