z

Young Writers Society

Bleeding Information

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:11 pm
View Likes
Emma says...

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but I may as well use it.
Okay:
My problem. I want to know what happens if someone is bleeding alot and a paramedic comes over. I want to know what they would say and do and I also want to know how they would treat you in a hospital.

I hope you understood that, probably you didn't. But still... I need the information for a story I'm doing at school. Sorry to bother you!

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:46 pm
View Likes
Carmina says...

Depends on where the bleeding is coming from and how much. I am assuming the bleeding is profuse. If the wound is bleeding from a vein, they would probably apply direct pressure to the wound, start an i.v. in the arm, and start pumping in type O-negative blood. Once at the hospital, they would suture the wound and give blood as needed. If the cut is deep enough, they can suture the vein itself internally and close the skin with a separate set of stitches on the skin. If the wound is to an artery, they would probably tourniquet any appendage that was bleeding. For a neck or chest wound, they would clamp off the artery. They would i.v. type O-neg blood. At the hospital (assuming you lived that long), they would continue giving blood, and would repair the damaged artery and then close the skin. For an arterial bleed, you don't have a whole lot of time before bleeding out. For a vein, you can bleed for a relatively long time without dying.

As for what the paramedics would say, depends on who they are talking to. TO the patietn it would be, "Don't worry, you'll be fine." To eachother, they would probably give orders. "You, apply pressure." "Get me a hypo of lidocaine" (lidocaine numbs you up to give you i.v. They may ask for suction, or a pack of blood. Things like that.

I've never been treated by paramedics for bleeding, so this is mostly from med shows,first aid, and what I know of getting patched up in the er a couple times. I hope it helps.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:41 pm
View Likes
Emma says...

Whoa, that helped alot. You are really a star. Thank you so much. *hugs*

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:09 am
View Likes
Carmina says...

Welcome
I reject your reality and substitute my own

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:34 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Also, if it was a head wound, any type of bleeding is considered to be unhealthy. I knew a woman who once tripped on the floor, thought nothing of it, but her head was bleeding. Fortunately, her employer forced her to go the doctor and she ended up having several stitches.

Also, in some cases, there are medical conditions where your blood is so thin that you end up bleeding profusely. Diabetes and cirrhosis come to mind straight off.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:19 pm
View Likes
sabradan says...

They ALWAYS tell you "your going to be okay" Even if you have a very slim chance of actually survivng.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:13 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

That's because, psychologically, when you know you're going to be okay, you're more likely to heal. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:24 am
View Likes
sabradan says...

Yea, but something tells me, if I have a huge gaping hole in a part of my body and am flooding the area with my own blood, common sense would dictate that I will not survive, no matter what they tell me.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:00 am
View Likes
Sureal says...

Yes, but being told, 'You're screwed man!' isn't quite as comforting, even if it is your last seconds.
I wrote the above just for you.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:48 pm
View Likes
Areida says...

ATTN ALL: Please do not click on these links; we do not know if this is a hacker, but they're all over the site.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:00 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

Thanks Ari - if you see any more, let one of the mods or Nate know, k? :)
Love and Light

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:29 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Sureal wrote:Yes, but being told, 'You're screwed man!' isn't quite as comforting, even if it is your last seconds.

That would be the funniest thing in a hospital comedy.

Although it would sure suck in real life.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:03 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

There's a little bit of good information here and a different perspective to how medics talk to patients. For more information, consider @StellaThomas's The Character Clinic . Reading through or asking a question should turn up good results.

Also an offer of 250 points to anyone who writes (and posts) a story in response to Griff's prompt.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

"Be happy, my friend; and if you obey me in this one request, remain satisfied that nothing on earth will have the power to interrupt my tranquility."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein