z

Young Writers Society

Adoption/Legal Guardianship

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:51 am
Carlito says...

I have two questions but they kind of go together, I think.

1. Does anyone know anything about adopting someone from a different country? One of my characters adopts a baby girl from North Korea. How you would go about doing this?

2. How does one become a legal guardian of someone else? In a different story, one couple becomes the legal guardians of two teenagers and I need to know how you would go about doing this.

Thanks much! :D

-Carly
Last edited by Carlito on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:15 am
Incognito says...

Okay, I think I may be able to help you out a little bit here.
1. Does anyone know anything about adopting someone from a different country? One of my characters adopts a baby girl from North Vietnam. How you would go about doing this?

This is a tricky thing because there is a lot of paper work that you would have to do. I am not sure if this is the exact in the United States, or Europe, but in Canada, you have to go to an adoption agency and get the reqired information. You would have to in correspondence with the telephone and e-mail with a consultant and they would usually hel you through it all. But before you ca actually adopt, the government actually checks out into your background and history to see if you are worthy and capable of actually sustaining a child. The reason why I know this was because my Uncle and Aunt wanted to adopt but because of the some of the stupid things my uncle did when he was a teenager, they weren't allowed. It can take years for all the paperwork to be filled out, and after that I am unsure about the rest of the system. If you want me to go in futher detail, feel free to PM me. ;)

You also might want to consider foster homes. Those always work well in a story.

2. How does one become a legal guardian of someone else? In a different story, one couple becomes the legal guardians of two teenagers and I need to know how you would go about doing this.

I am actually vague about this one because I think there are multiple ways in doing it. The one way I know for sure is that in Canada, it is necessary for the children to have a guardian if anything was to happen to the parents. If the parents died, then the guardians would get custody. For example; if both my parents died, I would be given to my Uncle and Aunt. Another way they do it is that they pass on the kids to the closest relative if there is no legal guardian stated. Thats all I really know about this one.

I hoped I helped a bit.
~Incognito
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

One who sits between two chairs may easily fall down.
— Proverb from Romania and Russia