z

Young Writers Society

Witch Mythology and Faeries

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:52 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

I really need something to learn the basics of witch mythology and magic before I can start writing my next fantasy fiction.

I need to know how they cast spells, where they get their power from, how they talk, how they dress, what kind of animals they take as pets, what realms they live in, what objects they use to perform magic, any phrases they say, and especially, how they die.

I'm also very grateful to hear anything else on this subject ^^

Oh! Also if you know how they become more powerful than another and if they have any "rulers" or anything.

----------

I'd like to know more about Faery mythology in general, also.
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:03 am
LilyJamey says...

I know a bit about witchcraft... um...

How they cast spells: As quoted from Wikipedia:
by the recitation of incantations; by the performance of physical rituals; by the employment of magical herbs as amulets or potions; by gazing at mirrors, swords or other specula (scrying) for purposes of divination; and by many other means.

Where they get their powers from: In my part of the world (South East Asia), witches often get their favours done by "toyols", directly translated to "little devils", usually in return for letting the toyol eat their big toes or something of the sort. They also get powers from ancestors and strong spirits. And of course, gods of the underworld.

How they talk: Like normal people, mostly, but some talk in limericks and riddles.

How they dress: Most myths say they wear top hats and cloaks. I suppose they might need special aprons for potion-making too. They might wear loads of charmed jewellery. Mostly wear boots and clogs as footwear.

Pets: Cats, of course. Preferrably black.

What objects they use to perform magic: Wands, mirrors, bowl of water, humans, candles, skulls, disgusting parts of animals (frog eyes), papers with names in red ink, voodoo dolls, daggers, jewellery, gold.

How they die: Burnt at stake, old age, neck injury, gutted.

That's kind of all I know, sorry if it isn't enough.
Got YWS?

The universe will reward you for taking risks on its behalf.
— Shakti Gawain