z

Young Writers Society

Blindness, loss of vision

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:59 pm
peanut19 says...

I'm currently working on a story about a 28 year old woman named Linda Clare. A year prior to the story Linda lost her daughter and husband in a car crash. The crash caused severe damage to her optical lobe in her brain and she is now blind.
I'm not blind. But I really want to get inside Linda's head. I want to be able to feel what she's going through and I need the people who read the story to feel it too. Any stories online or your own about being blind or helping some one who is would be helpful. Also medical articles or your knowledge to help me understand what happened to cause her loss of sight and how she would react to things.
Thanks,
~peanut~
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:40 pm
Teufelshund says...

For the true experience of losing eyesight, the true emotional and spiritual and personal essence of the thing, you'd need personal testimonies and firsthand experiences.

As far as the boring everyday reality though, maybe try putting on a blindfold for a day, or eating or trying to shower or writing with your eyes closed. Be your character.

It might unveil some day-to-day difficulties and challenges that the blind face, as well as a lot of things that us sighted folk take for granted.

But yeah, as far as getting the true inner feelings, the best thing would be to look online as you mentioned.
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:48 pm
peanut19 says...

Thanks, Teufelshund. I never thought about actually putting on a blind fold and trying to do the things I normally do. I think people, myself included, do take our eye sight for granted. So I am going to experiment with that. Thanks for the idea.
~peanut~
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:34 am
Carlito says...

I'm not blind but I have really, really bad eyesight. Without my glasses I have to get about four inches from something to see it clearly. So at the swimming pool and stuff it really sucks cause I can see anything. I can see big fuzzy shapes and can see movement but that's about all. It makes me feel really vulnerable and kind of like I can't do as much. Like I hate playing things like tag in the water, I feel like I'm at such a disadvantage because I can't see anyone and everyone can see me so well. I feel like I can't do anything without my glasses.
I hope that helped a little bit... :)
Teufelshund's advice was really good though :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Reviews: 1
Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:02 pm
bbqueen says...

Read about Helen Keller! She was blind and deaf. Ms. Keller even wrote a autobiography, The Story of My Life. Here is the link to the book: http://books.google.com/books?id=9_W7Nd ... PYMaO--J0E

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:56 am
mandeyy says...

Oo yes , blindfolding is quite the experiment .
I've done it before :D
Let's just say I hope I'm never blind , for the sake of people around me ! XD

But I agree to actually understand you should look for autobiographies at the library or bookstore or whatever. I've heard some blind people simply see darkness where as others can almost ' see ' with their hearing and such .

Good luck !
i sleep under yer bed .

"Now I realize that there is no righteous path, it’s just people trying to do their best in a world where it is far too easy to do your worst."
— Castiel