z

Young Writers Society

Unicorns

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:46 pm
MagnusBane says...

I need some information about unicorns. I've already got the whole magical horn that cures poison and attracted to virgins thing down. What I'm looking for is something with more... I don't know... material? I don't want to stray too far from the original legends in my story, but I also don't want to create a unicorn that's already been seen in every Disney movie and children's book.

Does anyone know some old legends that haven't been used a thousand times? Something kind of interesting? Anything dark or sinister about unicorns, or anything about unicorns in other cultures? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:57 pm
Merlin34 says...

I've actually heard that the only people they trust are young girls.

Also, if you need any evil unicorns, check out the Karkadann. It's extremely ferocious and attacks anything that moves.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:50 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Since Rosey Unicorn has been absent lately, I'll inform you about unicorns in her place ^^

My little sister has a whole book about it, actually, he has a collection of books for mythical creatures xD Anything from fairies to mermaids to princess etiquette to pirates to egyptians to wizardry to dragons. >< I can't believe it, but they were on sale at the store xD

Okay, for one, there are many different types of unicorns it says here. *stabs book* They have varied sizes, shapes, and abilities.

There are European Unicorns, Pygmy Unicorns, Great Unicorns, Butterfly Unicorns, Sea Unicorns, and KAradanns.

A unicorn's footprint is similar to a cow's or horse's, just larger and with not hollow parts in between. The horns and tails also vary, so you'd have to look that up.

Unicorns are usually wild and hard to tame, but they can be kind and wise if you suceed in making friends.

I can go more specific, but I'd need to know what type of unicorn you wanted. Earth Unicorns? Air Unicorns? Water Unicorns?Fire Unicorns?

do you want Unicorn Stories?

There's a whole bunch in here, so just be more specific and I'll check back.
-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:17 pm
MagnusBane says...

The Karkadann or the Karadanns, however you spell it, sounds intriguing. I could definetely write a story about evil unicorns.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:13 am
Rosendorn says...

Let me see what I can come up with here!

If you want non-Western Unicorns, you'd be looking at Kirin. Ie- Unicorns of Chinese mythology. These creatures have the horn of a deer, the scales of a carp and the tail of an ox.

"Unicorn horn" back in the Middle Ages was sometimes Narwhall horn, or rhino horn.

One account I've come up with has unicorn's footprints as heart-shaped, with a bell-like sound when they are around. (Hence my current custom title. ^^)

They're usually solitary creatures, preferring deep forests with a river to live in. According to my book, they do not need to eat.

Amazingly, that's all I have. Good luck!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:41 am
kris says...

From what I know of Unicorns in myth, their anything but gentle. They were seen as savage, unbreakable beasts that could only be calmed by a virgin maiden.
Also their blood as thought to prolong life :D

Hope I helped :D
xx

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
— Bill Nye