z

Young Writers Society

Agricultural products in high altitude?

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:52 pm
Hawkie says...

The ground's too rocky to farm, there's not enough space to graze cattle or other livestock. How would a (pre-Industrial Revolution) mountain town keep itself from starvation? Goats? Pumpkins? Pickles? :smt100

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:51 am
Rosendorn says...

Check out the Incas and Aztecs. Mostly Incas. They lived in the mountains and would flatten segments of mountain to farm on. A whole hillside would looked stepped!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:08 am
MeadowLark says...

Goats are perfect for people living in the mountains. They'll eat almost anything and can survive in cold temperatures. They're tough little animals. They'll also give you milk which people can get butter, cheese and cream from. Also, people can eat the goat. Also, there would be wild animals some where up there. Whether it be birds or mammals.

Vegetation? Of course there would be some sort of plant life on the mountains. There always is. Berries, trees, etc. Mountains, no matter how rocky they are, always, always have plant life. And meadows. Keep those in mind for the grazing problem ;)

Hope I helped.
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:53 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

You'd definitely have to look up Chile, the country. It's a long strip of land with mountains and high altitudes.

Since in high altitudes, there's more nutrients, veggies grow well there.
Bush and Pole Beans = 60 days
Beets = 50-70 days
Carrots = 90 days
Sweet Corn = 60 - 90 days
Cucumbers = 90 days
Lettuce = 70-90 days
Peas = 60 days
Potatoes = 90 - 120 days
Radishes = 30 days
Spinach = 45 - 90 days
Tomatoes* = 55 - 90 days
You can also grow coffee beans.

The feet of the villagers would be hard, tough, and big because they had no shoes. Think of the feet like Froto's in the lord of the rings.

Cattle can't survive high up in the mountains, but goats/rams/big horned sheep can survive there. Sheep survive high in the mountains, too. Goats provide milking once a day if they are well, but not while they are pregnant. It takes a goat around 2-4 weeks to milk again after birth. Goats provide milk for cheese and dairy products. You can make cheese in caves.

Berries also grow in high altitudes. Strawberries, rapsberries, grapes, apricots, etc.
Here's the link to something that may help you http://www.essortment.com/all/differentkinds_rizu.htm
On the windward side of the mountain, it rains a lot tends to be cooler. On the leeward side it's drier and is considered a "rain shadow" because it's like a desert.

Hope that helps ^^
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

Stories don't end because you stopped paying attention.
— SJ Whitby