z

Young Writers Society

Back to the basics of horror

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:41 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Basically I'm working on a story that is turning into sort of a 'horror' type thing. It deals with old horror movie type monstors: the original vampires and werewolves, zombies and such.

I'm having a few problems though:

I can only think of Vampires, Werewolves, and Zombies. What other monstors could I use? I would like more than those three. And I'd like them to basically have a thirst to kill, no soft spots or ability to have meaningful relationships. (I'm not goin' for Twilight here.)

Also once I have these creatures (So lovingly grouped into the category of Night Wanderers), how do I keep them truely terrifying? I don't want to end up sounding corny or cliche. I want my characters to be truely terrified and I want the suspense and drama and all that. So please help, at least on the first question. Thanks!
Got YWS?

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:01 pm
Krupp says...

If you feel like you can stomach it, I'd advise watching Rob Zombie's "The Devil's Rejects" just so that you can see that there are more villains than just the few you mentioned. The truth is, man can be far more violent and terrifying than a vampire or werewolf could ever be.

However, the movie is R, and I don't know if you'd want to watch it, as that it's violent, it's got an unecessary amount of the F bomb for no reason at all, and there are quite a few sexual references that are more annoying than anything. The one reason I watch the film at all is because Rob's characterization of the three killers in the film is great stuff.

I also advise reading Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian, which is something I'm reading right now as well. It also confirms that Man is the epitome of violence and terror, not te vampire or werewolf. who are just myths.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

I'll actually turning 100 soon
— Ari11