z

Young Writers Society

Evil Other Woman

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:22 pm
J_Fang says...

I realize that a lot of this could depend on personality and that's fine; I'm hoping for a variety of answers.

:idea: Quick Info:

In my story I'm currently working the main female protagonist is in love with her best friend and is struggling to get herself to confess to him. They're 17-18 and have been friends since they were 7-8.
She has a lot of "grit" though she can't seem to push past the idea that it could make things awkward between them and ruin their relationship as it is, if she was to be rejected.
Another woman shows up (surprise huh?) who he seems to show interest in.
The Evil Other Woman or EOW is a new girl (at least to her) and is genuinely nice to all of them.

:?: My question(s) is:

*How would she react, emotionally and/or socially, towards the other girl?

A.) Would she be territorial and try to make it obvious (at least to the other woman) that she has an interest in him?

B.) Would she pull the other girl to the side and let her know, or not risk it?

C.) Might she try and make him seem unattractive when asked about him in order to dissuade the EOW from him?

*Really, just any info on different ways she might/could react would help a lot.

Thanks for your help. :)

And I'm just assuming she wont do the guy thing and act like a gorilla,
"UGH-UGH, Me girl you, go away. *barking/yapping noises, and chest pounding* Me girl--DIBS."

(obviously that's not how we *actually act*, but its not far from it. :P )

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:52 pm
Musicaloo7311 says...

Mmm. I think that your MC could appear friendly to the EOW at first, but be a little cold to her at times. Kind of a "frenemies" thing going on.

As in (just a little example):

EOW (thinking she's good friends with MC): "So... I have a date with [insert the boy's name here]. Isn't that great?

MC: Mmm-hmm.

See how the MC isn't genuinely happy for the girl, but it's not in-your-face?

Just a suggestion, my darling. I don't think she'd be obviously territorial, because she's been nervous to tell the guy. She might accidentally let some territorial-ness slip, though. :wink:
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:58 pm
Alainna says...

I agree with the above. There would be a general friendliness, especially if the new girl is nice, but then there would be these cold moments and slightly snide remarks. Perhaps even a warning given to the male character - something that might put him off.

xx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

18 Reviews

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:57 pm
J_Fang says...

Thank you for your assistance: and now I ask for more :)

What about internally? Eh--Thoughts? Would it be completely unrealistic for her to say, issue a warning mentally ex.

Shoots her an evil glare and thinks, Keep it up and I'm going to strangle you with those darn curls.

--

She first meets her--immediately--after she's been taken to "the boiling" point by some evil comments from a source of hate.

She does calm down, of course, and re-evaluates the situation--but what about say 5 hours later when she's all cooled down and she's being questioned about him.
Annoyed? Honest? Try and change the subject?

I've already written some, but I'm just--ehh, can't think of a proper word--about if I'm thinking of it from too much of a guys standpoint. I've done my best to "be her" while writing, but I'm still a guy, so, just a little hint to point me in the right direction? :)

Thanks again!

Edit: Because, I don't want to be all "bumpy!"

:Angel of Death: Thanks for the reply, it wasn't my intention to make her seem like that was her all consuming thought, it's not, but it's the trains of thought I needed the most help on, but your advice is well taken. I like the idea of her having an innocent side--so she's not all "grr" all the time.
Thanks Much.
Last edited by J_Fang on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny was a chemist's son, but Johnny is no more; what Johnny thought was H20 was H2SO4.

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:40 pm
Angel of Death says...

Well, to answer you question about internal thoughts. I don't your character should think like that all the time. She should scrutinize or criticize the other girl in her mind. Maybe she'll say things like "what would he possibly see in her anyway?" or maybe she won't spend her time constantly thinking about her, if she were concerned, truly she'd try to boost her confidence think things like "I'm better than her and there's no competition there," "he's obviously into me and not her"

But if you don't want to be that typical territorial lioness type girl, then her thoughts would mirror innocent envy and she wouldn't be so brutal, you know? Focus on just giving her rational thoughts because not all girls when pining for a girl that another girl likes constantly think about ripping the other girl's head off. Unless they're obsessive.

Hope I helped,

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:39 pm
Musicaloo7311 says...

Mmm. Angel has a good point- the girl, hopefully, isn't obsessive about her object of affection.

She could, though, every once and a while, have thoughts come in her mind such as the one you suggested, J_Fang. Omitting the evil glare.

She needs to be jealous, of course. Perhaps, since she is his best friend, she knows she's closer to the guy than EOW is. Therefore, at points, she'll remind herself that she gets to see the guy more often, is closer to him than EOW is, etc. To make herself feel better. (She won't say the last part outright, but it will be implied to the reader as a flaw of hers.)

Also, as you noted, she can't be "grr" all the time. Have simple, little things irk her about EOW and the guy. Perhaps he smiled at EOW and passed MC without a glance. She should feel hurt and envious. This is compared to when EOW and the guy are conversing- in which she shouldn't be completely "grr" about. Focus on the little things, not the overwhelming things. Do you get where I'm getting at? Haha.

Just be sure to make her seem realistic in that she isn't jealous 24/7- instead, she experiences short, furious bits of "the green monster", but still genuinely doesn't like EOW.
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

18 Reviews

Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:29 pm
J_Fang says...

I get what your saying. Thanks for all your help guys, err--girls...

It hadn't occurred to me that she does get to see him more often, only for her to complain about the times when she does get to see him often that the EOW is around. I think I will be able to give her not such a "consumed by the green monster" personality now and who knows even an actual 3-dimensional one?

Have simple, little things irk her about EOW and the guy.

While it had occurred to me at times that she would have things that she doesn't like, or that irk/annoy her about the guy. I hadn't actually written anything in to display that and the above "quote" pointed that out to me.

I have an idea of what I can keep and what I need to re-write/add.
You've all made this so much easier :).

Now, I guess it's about time I actually write some more on it. :?

And, thanks again for the help!
Johnny was a chemist's son, but Johnny is no more; what Johnny thought was H20 was H2SO4.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:43 pm
StellaThomas says...

So she's genuinely nice, eh? Well, I can help- last year I was quite convinced I was in love with one of my best friends. Only he was going out with another girl who I wasn't necessarily best friends with, but we were certainly friends, and old friends too. So...

A.) Would she be territorial and try to make it obvious (at least to the other woman) that she has an interest in him?

Territorial in the sense that, if they weren't together, then she would try and involve herself in their conversations, and try and spend time with him in front of the EOW to make sure she realises they're close... perhaps she would openly flirt with him as well.

B.) Would she pull the other girl to the side and let her know, or not risk it?

It depends on her personality. Some girls might, some wouldn't. When I had my, er, experience, the girl in question asked several times who I liked- only that's different because they were very much together. It depends on her relationship with the EOW- for instance, if they were both friendly, she might casually let her know, and the EOW's relationship with the guy- if the guy liked her, well, what can she do about it?

C.) Might she try and make him seem unattractive when asked about him in order to dissuade the EOW from him?

I don't know, that happens in chick-flicks, I'm not sure it happens in real life...

But she might do other things to dissuade the relationship. For instance, if the guy mentioned a little thing that irked him about the EOW, the girl might latch onto it and say "Oh yeah, she's always doing stuff like that. Like yesterday..." you get the idea...

As for internally: well, with the friend, I just got upset when I saw them together. If we were talking about him I'd just say "mm..." and be sort of unresponsive (let's face it, I never outright told her, but she knew.)

But when they broke up and he got interested in another girl that I wasn't so close with, it would be things like:

"Gawd, she looks so fat in that top..." or if somebody mentioned how good she was at something, I'd say "Well, it's not that good. I mean, I've seen better." I might deathstare her behind her back and sort of go "What does he see in her anyway? She's a stupid s***" but then if she asked me something I'd be all smiles.

:) We are complicated, us girls.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Reviews: 4
Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:22 am
Joyfulnoise says...

From my experience, anyone can be made into an enemy in a person's head, not matter how nice they are. I don't have any suggestions for external reaction, but she might be contemptuous to the new girl, even if she doesn't deserve it. Ridiculing her fake nails (assuming the new girl has them), and being generally catty and dislikeable are always options.
"Anything if possible for him who believes."
~Mark 9:23

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:59 pm
sofi says...

Hmmm if it was me I don't think I'd take the girl to the side to tell her but I think I would try and emphasise how close I was to the boy. For exmaple always finding a way to mention 'That really funny time like two years ago...' to constantly remind her that we had been better friends for longer to try and get her to back off a bit.

And as most people have said I'd be nice so that I didn't look really mean and horrible in front of the guy but not too nice. There would be the occassional cold reply etc.

Or I might try and convince her to get a bad haircut or something :D

Good luck with your story! :D
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:27 pm
Icaruss says...

I think you should make your main character be really friendly towards the girl and have the girl be really friendly towards your MC. Make them become friends. So, when she sabotages the girl's relationship with the boy, it'll be more tragic.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

See, we could have been called The Shoes.
— Paul McCartney