z

Young Writers Society

Russian Revolution

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:35 pm
WaterVyper says...

I need some help, specifically in the period beginning from the early 1880s up till the end. My information on that section is a bit iffy, and I need some help.

And extra infor about Rasputin would help too. That part isn't necessary, but I've taken to researching him on my own.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:01 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

What in particular would you like to know?

That's a long period of time.

What do I know already? Do you need help with the history of Stalin and Trotsky? Do you understand Communism?

I'll be glad to help. Sorry, Rasputin wasn't my forte. XD

--Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:26 am
niccy_v says...

I am of service...

PM me. I am doing Russia right now, so I know all about Lenin, Stalin, Trotsky, Chernov, Kerensky, Tsar rise and fall, the social and economic issues, everything between 1890-1929

If you PM me your specific questions I will gladly help you, I am a wealth of knowledge on Russia haha I love the Revolution
Writing gives my life purpose

122 Reviews

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:06 pm
WaterVyper says...

Yeah, I know it's quite a long time. I got everything up till the 1880s, then I got lost. Maybe for now, 1880-1900?
There once was a cat.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:29 am
BeckFletch. says...

Hey,

I've just finished studying Russian rev. and I love history so here's to hoping I can be of some assistance. Most of the info I have for you is from 1905 up to the death of the Tsar (king).

So, basically, the Russian rev. centers around the fall of the Romanov dynasty. The last Tsar (king) of Russia was Nicholas II who the people called 'The Little Father' because he was so short. He was crowned in 1894 and was only in power for 23 years, after which he was removed and taken prisoner but more of that later.

Nicholas wasn't the best ruler. He became king way to early with out having the leadership skills to successfully rule the country. I'm not sure, so don't quote me on this, but I think the reason he became king so early was because his father was assassinated by the people because they were sick of the way the country was being run. Basically they wanted a Duma, which is a democratic government (at this time Russia was an Autocracy - run by one person), and he wasn't giving it to them so they blew him up. The ironic thing is the day before he was assassinated he had drawn up plans for a Duma, which Nicholas ripped up as soon as he discovered who was responsible for the assassination.

Another obstacle Nicholas had to face was the size of his kingdom. Russia spans thirteen time zones and only 40% of the population spoke Russian as their first language, so you get a little bit of an idea of what he had to face as a new, inexperienced king.

So, Russia was ruled by Autocracy. This meant that one man, the Tsar, had full and absolute power. He believed that God had placed him in that position and the Russian church supported his view. However, about 1.5% of Russian society made up the Aristocracy. Out the Millions of people who lived in Russia this 1.5% owned 25% of the land. The Aristocracy is important because they were a key part to the Tsar's government, often acting as local officials.

the cartoon attached shows basically how the whole country worked. the witting around it explains what it's about but it's in Russian so I'll translate.

The top layer: the Royal family - 'We rule you'
next layer down: The church - 'We mislead you'
Middle layer: The capitalists - 'We do the eating'
Second bottom: The army - 'We shoot you'
Bottom Layer: The workers (in many other versions the workers are holding the whole structure up)

To fully understand the message being sent across through this cartoon you have to understand the different classes Russia had. There were The Peasants who accounted for 80% of the population. They were dirt poor. The worked land for a living but got hardly any money for it. Their living conditions were atrocious but many remained loyal to the Tsar because of their religion. The church had a huge influence on what the people thought. They told the people that the Tsar was put in charge by God and that stopped people questioning his rule. The army, well they're the army. They would shoot you if you stepped to far out of line. The capitalists were the middle to upper class. Again don't quote me on this but I think they were like the Aristocracy.

OK. Sorry that's all I can give you right no. I have to go do my own history work but if there's any specific info you need PM me. I'm always up for some history :wink:

and sorry if this didn't help at all.

Thanks

BeckFletch. xx
Attachments
Tsar's Wedding Cake.jpg
Tsar's Wedding Cake.jpg (387.62 KiB) Viewed 166 times
'The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, The more I will respect myself' - Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë.

122 Reviews

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:43 am
WaterVyper says...

Ah, thanks a lot. That was quite helpful.
There once was a cat.

Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
— Holden Caulfield