z

Young Writers Society

If . . .

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:38 pm
Chloe(: says...

If someone blackmailed you, what three things would be the worst thing they could make you do?
It's important in a story I'm writing. Just so you know, the characters that are "blackmailed" are pretty innocent when it comes to crime.
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:41 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Hmm.

If the MCs are innocent crime wise, you could have a friend/family member's well-being threatened.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:46 pm
MySunshine says...

Well, the most effective way to blackmail me would be to threaten my family or friends.

If your characters aren't criminals in any way, but are dedicated job-wise or something, maybe that, too?
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

28 Reviews

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:36 pm

That could work, but the thing is that most of their friends and family died at the begging :(
And the four people being threatened, they can't kill each other, because the blackmailing "punishment" is basically as bad as death. But, thanks so far! Any other ideas?

Random avatar

Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:56 pm
MySunshine says...

Hmm ... could you give us some more background of what the character's like and all that?
That'd make it easier for us to think of how your MC would react

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:46 pm
Carlito says...

If someone was going to blackmail me, three really bad things would be if they told a really personal secret that I didn't want anyone to know, if they threatened someone close to me, or maybe if they stole my favorite books and held them over a burning flame I'd do anything then! :D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

28 Reviews

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:51 pm

Well, the main characters, as I've said are innocent. One of them is depressed,
one is very goody-two-shoes. Another one is pretty wild, though still innocent. And one of them is one of the most arrogant, spoiled person ever, at the beginning, who turns a little depressed later in the book. The last one has to say no to the last task :).

Random avatar

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:33 pm
MySunshine says...

I'd say maybe for the depressed one - I assume s/he has a reason for it, like something that happened in the past - being blackmailed with the event or whatever that caused this depression would be logical.

To the arrogant and spoiled one: blackmail with money and such? I know, a little uninventive, but I'd think that if I were spoiled and arrogant, and someone threatened to take away my money and whatever else that lead to my arrogance and spoilt attitude, that'd be hell.

Well, if the third one is a goody-two-shoes, there's nothing really that I could think of for blackmail ...

But generally, I'd also suggest blackmail as in telling them to do something that goes against everything they believe, meaning against their morals, as I think everyone has at least some morals.
Seeing that the mysterious person blackmailing them must know a lot about them to actually be able to blackmail them, I'd say he or she also knows what they think of certain topics. You know what I mean?

Hope this helped ;)
MySunshine

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:28 pm
WaterVyper says...

Goody-two-shoes: That could be a dark secret that they've kept from everyone. I've been called a goody-two-shoes and if anyone knew my secrets, every single one of them, I'd be mortified for life.

The arrogant one: Money is an ideal thing, but maybe threatened with a family member? If they refuse that, and the person is killed, I think that'll turn them around pretty quickly.

That's all I have for now. Sorry. Hope it helped.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:30 pm
MuffinWriter says...

blackmail? find out what was most important to me, and threaten it

OR

find out whats the one thing ive always kept hidden inside myself & threaten to reveal it to everybody
Why does believe have the word lie in it?

*like the line in my dp? Check out my one poem: "In Repair". I made the dp to match the poem.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:14 am
J_Fang says...

A picture's worth a thousand words.

A photo that looks to put them in a compromising situation could be good.

Or a digitally altered photograph that puts them in a horrendous situation, but is believable could be used.

(If they're siblings) Threaten to reveal that they are incestuous (even when they aren't, a person with the right connections or that is manipulative/persuasive enough could turn that into a nightmare).

Convince them of a crime scene and that you've planted evidence that with a tip to the authorities would have them knocking at their door.
Or actually plant evidence at a crime scene that would lead authorities to them with the right tip.

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy