z

Young Writers Society

Creative Writing at University

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:15 pm
Blink says...

Hey guys. I'm aware that a lot of you do Creative Writing or some other form of English degree at university, and I'd be interested to learn thoughts of it. I might like to do it, but I'm not really sure about what is involved. If you could answer these questions, I'd very much appreciate it:

1) What do you do? I mean, are you just given a topic and you have to write a story about it?

2) How much literature analysis do you have to do?

3) How much of the course is exam-based?

4) What do the exams entail? (Timed writing, comprehension, etc?)

5) What course of Creative Writing would you recommend?

6) With the exception of novelist/publisher/editor, of course, what types of jobs would be best suited to this degree?

7) Is a large portion of the time spent learning terms words that relate to creative writing (viewpoint, main character etc)?

8) What A-levels are required?

As you might have guessed, I'm a complete newb to university stuff. And I believe there are different courses in creative writing? Anyway, thanks for your help.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:24 pm
Shinigamizm says...

I'm in my third year of a Creative Writing B.A. Hons degree at University, I'll answer your questions as best I can. :)

1) What do you do? I mean, are you just given a topic and you have to write a story about it?
- It depends on the module. Roughly 50% of the modules require report-based coursework - this is not fictional. For example, in my third year work, I have to submit TWO researched factual articles, and als evaluate them. However, other modules are more creative. In my Short Stories module I'm producing a portfolio of drafted work - in another called Creative Practice, I'm producing a folder of creative work I've written throughout the year. There's also work on internet narratives, storytelling (which was a lot of fun!), a huge variety. You are often given a topic and asked to write about it, but it's usually more complex than that.

2) How much literature analysis do you have to do?
- Little to none. In class we're given extracts (depending on the module) but we're not asked to examine or explore texts and then discuss them. Sometimes we are asked to write a continuation of a chapter, or to look at a certain author, but we're usually interested in the writing itself rather than the story.

- There are no exams whatsoever on the degree I'm taking, it's 100% coursework.

4) What do the exams entail? (Timed writing, comprehension, etc?)

5) What course of Creative Writing would you recommend?
- Personally I would probably go for a Joint Honours, taking it alongside media writing, drama or film, as I think that would be more rewarding. There are loads of courses you can pair it with, so just have a look around. :)

6) With the exception of novelist/publisher/editor, of course, what types of jobs would be best suited to this degree?
- I've done a fair amount of journalism across this course, so I would say anything involving articles as well. I don't think it would be impossible to get into teaching.

7) Is a large portion of the time spent learning terms words that relate to creative writing (viewpoint, main character etc)?
- Again, it depends on the module. Some are more driven towards the history of writing and terminology, whereas others are purely about the creative side. There's a lot of terminology to be introduced to, but it's not overbearing, and you don't have to 'learn' it.

What A-levels are required?
- My course required only 200 points and 2 A-Levels - not specific subjects, though they look kindly upon English related ones, I'm guessing. So my five A-Levels were mostly wasted, haha! Hope that helps!

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:41 pm
Blink says...

Wow, thanks! That was really appreciated.

- There are no exams whatsoever on the degree I'm taking, it's 100% coursework.

Jackpot! I loathe exams with a passion.

Again, thank you very much!
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:35 am
LowKey says...

Ah, thanks for asking, Blink. Looking at going into one of these myself, you just saved me the trouble of asking around. ;) And thanks, Shimi. ^_^ Don't suppose you go to Goddard? That's the writing program I'm looking at doing.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:16 pm
Shinigamizm says...

Dreamer wrote:Ah, thanks for asking, Blink. Looking at going into one of these myself, you just saved me the trouble of asking around. ;) And thanks, Shimi. ^_^ Don't suppose you go to Goddard? That's the writing program I'm looking at doing.

I don't I'm afraid, I'm at Derby!
I do love the lack of exams.

You can't fool me! I listen to public radio!
— Squidward Tentacles