z

Young Writers Society

Epilepsy

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:09 am
Tabithalillian says...

I was just wondering what happens when you have epilepsy, like the effects and how the seizers are and what happens durring them. I would really appricate some help as I do not know how to describe it happening to the main charecter to my story! Thanks every one!
-Tabitha
Living in a tower

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:18 am
ButterFlyInk says...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epilepsy
http://www.medicinenet.com/seizures_sym ... /page2.htm
Here's a couple of sites that have info on epilepsy.

My younger sister suffers from epilepsy and when she has a seizure she tends to shake and tremble, mostly she doesn't really know what is going on around her.
When she comes to, she has no idea that she just suffered from a seizure.

My yonger sister has been on anti-seizure medication since she was three, so far as what I know she needs a controlling medication and a helping medication to prevent frequent seizures from happening.

Here are things that we have to do to help her when she is seizuring,

1) you have to turn her on her side
2) remove any tight clothing items that are around the neck
2.5) Don't place anything in her mouth (back in the days, it was common for people to place items in epileptic peoples mouths when they were seizuring..i'm not sure why)
3) place a pillow underneath her head
4) take account of how long it has been, and watch and see if she has had more then one seizure in a short period of time
4.5) if there has been more then one seizure within a 5 minute period then you call 911

Thats mostly what I know on how to help my sister through her seizures.

I hope this helps you,
B.Ink

Keep on writing!
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:53 am
Tabithalillian says...

Thank you so much!
Living in a tower

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:15 am
View Likes
queenb4ever says...

My best friend has it so I know about it. The can suffer from seziers that can be random or triggered by thing such as a strobe light. My friend has only ever had seziers in the afternoon-ish time or night. Also some suffer from learning disabilities that can vary. Their memory is affected by the illiness, which can make it even harder for them in school. Still, most lead a normal life and the diease usually will start to cure it's self when you become a teenager. Hope it helped! 8)
Yum=Chinese Food

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:12 am
ButterFlyInk says...

queenb4ever wrote:. Still, most lead a normal life and the diease usually will start to cure it's self when you become a teenager.

In most cases the disease won't cure itself, many people can have it from when they are very young (maybe ages 3-5 when they are diagnosed) and it will grow with them. It can be cured in some people and others it may not.

They'll all lead pretty normal lives but might have trouble with learning or memory, like queenb4ever said.

P.s. Strobe lights or really fast flashing lights will (or might depending on how far progressed their epilepsy is)
cause a seizure.
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

"She doesn't even go here!"
— Damian Leigh