z

Young Writers Society

I need help from girls aged 14-17

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:24 pm
Moriah Leila says...

My newest story that I am working on is about a teenaged girl who feels overhsadowed by her "perfect" older sister and finds herself engaging in promiscuous relationships to make herself feel beautiful. Why I need your help is because I want the story to be very realistic, as if the character (who is 14) is someone that goes to school with you. So I have a couple areas that I need help with.

1. School Topics: Basically refresh my memory about what our public schools are teaching kids in 9th to 11th grade. (Be specific, like what are you currently learning in history or math, right now?)
2. Fashion: What are the latest trends you see prevalent in your school? I'd like a variety of styles.
3. Music: What are some of the music groups that are really popular with my demographic? (14-17)
4. Entertainment: What are some of the things you do for fun with your friends?
5. Catch Phrases: What is some of the slang or catch phrases you hear a lot?
6. Problems: What are some of the problems people your age face? (be specific here, like what is a problem you are dealing with or something one of your friends has just dealt with?)

I really appreciate any help you provide me and if you want feel free to PM me. Thank you!

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:30 pm
WaterVyper says...

Hm, I can say that the ninth graders are studying the Incans, Aztecs, and Mayans in history. They studied Shakespeare in Language class as well. I think they're taking geometry and probability and number sequences for math. In science, biology (human and animal), as well as chemistry.

They always hang out at each others' houses, and go out to movies. Or sleepovers. I'm not sure about anything else. Sorry I couldn't be of much more help since I'm still in eighth grade and only twelve.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:10 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Hey!

I'm in eigth grade, but I take advanced classes sooo...

1.) Ninth graders take...

-Algebra 1
-World History/Civics/Country's History
-You usually read classics in English -- Shakespeare is popular in ninth grade.
-In the US at least, you have to study a foreign language.

2.)

Tight fitting clothes for girls AND boys. Skinny jeans. Brands like Hollister, Abercrombie, Aeropostale.
There are also "hardcore" skater/emo stores like Hot Topic and PacSun.

3.)

A lot of kids like pop and rap such as Rhianna and Lil Wayne.
"Emo" rock (emotional) and "pop-punk" are very popular. Bands such as My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy fall into this genre.

4.)

We like to go to the movies, have sleepovers, shop at the mall... sometimes we just hang out.

5.)

"That;s what she said!" When someone has said something that can be interpreted as perverted.

6.)

There are a lot of problems with gossip. Also relationship (boyfriend/girlfriend) issues.

Hope this helps!

-Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Reviews: 1
Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:10 pm
luverly says...

A phrase that's actually making a comeback at my school is 'tubular'.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:15 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

1. School Topics: Basically refresh my memory about what our public schools are teaching kids in 9th to 11th grade. (Be specific, like what are you currently learning in history or math, right now?)

For history, general world history. Back to the Greeks, skipping the Dark Ages, going right into the Renaissance. Mathematics is a little more varied, and it depends on the character. She might be in Algebra (which is mostly equations and graphing, getting used to using variables), Algebra I (reiterating everything from Algebra) or Geometry (the study of shapes and objects).
In English, it's essay-writing (persuasive and book reports), with vocabulary, Romeo and Juliet and the Odyssey. Also short story and poetry terms.
Science is physical and earth, with basic chemistry. Waves, sound, gravity, energy, maybe some light touches on geology... and for chemistry, some basic periodic table jazz and chemistry terms.
Also, people are encouraged to take a language... over here it's French, German and Spanish, so you'll need to do some research into that. (A larger school might offer Chinese, Japanese or Italian or something. Depends on your universe.)
Then there are electives, like (marching) band, choir, woodshop, art and home ec. Over here, it's a requirement to take a certain amount of art, which are the electives.
Oh, and there's gym. As a band geek, I don't need to take that (marching constitutes as the "exercise" credits for the year) -- keep that in mind.

2. Fashion: What are the latest trends you see prevalent in your school? I'd like a variety of styles.

At the moment (in America): For girls it's hoodies with cut-off sleeves or stomachs (to showcase boobage, obviously), skinny jeans, skater shoes, for boys it's kind of an emo haircut, for girls it's frizzed-up, long straight-ironed hair with side-swept bangs (or just a lock of hair falling over side(s) of the face). Otherwise, lightly curly seems to be coming back. French bangs are also coming in.
For updos, messy bun-thingies with bands are really popular with girls who are into sports. Otherwise it's messy bun, high ponytail or left to dangle.
As for dyeing, people seem to be going for a auburn at the moment. Unless they're conforming nonconformists, where they go for dark red or black.
Speaking of nonconforming conformists, it's either Keds or Chucks.
Guys who like to consider themselves manly tend to go for boots. Guys who like to consider themselves athletic go for ridiculous athletic shoes. (Skater shoes are not gender specific, btw.)
Girls who are more fashion-oriented will go for the afore-mentioned garishly-colored skinny jeans plus some variation of this type of shoe or brightly-patterned flats. For winter footwear it's all 'bout the UGGs.

The skinny jeans are often paired with a non-flattering loose shirt.
Colors are brighter and gaudier than you can imagine. That goes for patterns... lots of neon and eye-searing designs going on.

Okay, on the line between fashion and school, there's how people carry their books and stuff. As a general:
-- People who don't care a lot (usually guys) use backpacks.
-- Girls will use brightly colored tote bags with a purse. This is not to say that all girls do, but it's a fashion thing.
-- People who don't like to carry a lot (with backpacks and totes you can carry tons of crap) will use messenger bags (sometimes advertised as laptop bags). I carry a messenger bag.
-- Some people don't carry anything. They think that a bag is too much of a hassle.

(Backpacks come in all sizes, and a lot of people wear them with a lot of stuff and way off the shoulders.)

(Um. Wow. It's not like I'm a fashion guru, but I've managed to come up with a lot. O_o PM me if you need anything else on the fashion front.)

4. Entertainment: What are some of the things you do for fun with your friends?

Talk, go to the movies and hang out in fast-food parking lots.

5. Catch Phrases: What is some of the slang or catch phrases you hear a lot?

Person A says something. Person B replies with "That's what she said" (applied in any context makes the previous sentence sound dirty).

"Can I have some of your ice cream?" "That's what she said."

It's more funny due to the lameness of the statement than anything else.

Then there's the your mom / yo mama jokes. Person A is insulted.
"You're an arse." "Your mom!"

And finally, there's the "your face" variation on "your mom". This is usually prefaced by the "your mom" statement.
"You're an arse."
"Your mom!"
"Your face!"
("Your mama's face!" is one that usually comes next. That or "suck it!")

Oh, and suck it. Nearly forgot that. Okay, I'll try to explain this.

You thrust your hips forward and snap your hands and wrists down a little while saying "suck it", indicating that the person is to suck your, ah, you know. XD As an insult, it doesn't usually make sense.

So an exchange would go something like this:
"You're an arse."
"Your mom!"
"Your face!"
"Your mama's face!"
"Suck it!" ( :*hip thrust*: )

Me and a friend do that exchange at least once every day. XD

6. Problems: What are some of the problems people your age face?

Homework and tests, parents (they seem to get on your case all the time), balancing that with a social life and yourself. A lot of turmoil is internal. Oh, and boyfriends. Can't say much about that 'cause I'm not allowed to date yet (add that to the list), but I'm sure it's a pressure on a lot of girls.

Like I said, PM me if you need anything else or want me to elaborate on something. XD I'm way observant at school.

~Sumi
ohmeohmy

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:55 am
~Excalibur~ says...

Since this is the research topic, I'll just contribute some sources.

Your local schools should have an online program which you can see exactly what classes are offered to students. Technical and college oriented schools have different curriculum. If you want one to be overshadowed have one girl go to the college oriented and one go to technical. This is what me and my brother did, even though we went to the same middle school. He went Tech, I went College Prep. So that's not a stretch for you.

14-17 is also a tough age as you remember, don't be quick to blindly take what is 'cool' or 'current' cause I never EVER liked rap yet I was subjected to that torture for my last 6 years of schooling before college.

Fun times. Fun times.
Currently writing Gaea Arc #1 - Poisoned Throne

Help Class 5-B get started! (Link works now)
topic44711.html

Reviews: 0
Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:10 am
Eos says...

Hello! I'm Eos (Kelsey), and I'm seventeen. I thought I'd help out by answering a few questions.

1. School Topics:
We must take the requirements (Science, History, English, and Math) -- As a junior my schedule consists of Chemistry, World History, Short Stories & Speech (English), and Algebra 2. My electives (which I also need credits from) are Wind Ensemble and Spanish.

2. Fashion:
There is a very wide range when it comes to fashion. Tote bags have become a must-carry accessory, even when the girls are in class. Sometimes, I'm just too lazy to bring a purse. Another hot item is flats and skinny jeans. They're not always together, but it's common to find the combintaion paired. Scarfs are also in season at the moment, even if they do not aid in warmth--I've seen girls wear torn up scarves as a fashion statement. That's all I can think of for now.

3. Music: -- I chose the most mainstream musicians that I can think of:
Rap & Hip-Hop: Ying Yang Twins, Lil' Wayne, Kanye West, Rihanna, T Pain, Pitbull, Akon Baby Bash
Pop: Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Danity Kane, Avril Lavigne, Fergie
Rock/Punk Pop/Other: The Killers, The Fray, Muse, My Chemical Romance

4. Entertainment:
We rent movies and stay in--or, we go swimming at the local pool. We go to the movies, the Thai house, extracurricular activities like "the wearable-arts show". Some of my friends took river dancing lessons as well. Dances are occasionally, but get a lot of attention.

5. Catch Phrases:
"That's sick." -- if something is so awesome.
"That's so bad." -- With bad meaning good. It's basically short for bad-ass.
"I'd tear that up." -- If someone is talking about a particular individual that they find very attractive.
"Damn, Gina." -- if something was particularly awesome or sexual. I don't exactly know how to explain this phrase.
"Bromance" -- when two guys are so close, it seems as if there's something more. They're basically BFFs.

6. Problems:
a. When you want to go out and drink with your friends. It's simple, but so many people are pressured into going to parties.
b. Smoking pot. Again, it's very common but can't be forgotten.
c. Body issues. A lot of girls have poor body image.
d. Family problems, such as moving out and having to stay with another family member or a close friend.
e. Not making grades to travel for sports--this gets a lot of people upset. If you don't meet a certain grade requirement, you cannot travel to another town to play. It generally sucks.

Hope I helped!
EOS
I DARE YOU TO
TELL ME THAT THE WORLD ISN'T MINE.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:29 pm
OokamiKitsune says...

Okay I just turn 18 and work at McDonald's and everyone from my High School hangs out at McDonald's for no reason at all. They goof of outside and make messes inside so I would definitely make that a main focus - or some other kind of Fast Food restaurant that is well known.
Every hello is the prologue to the knowing farewell, so make as many stories as you can:)

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:59 pm
Sparkle says...

Hi, I'm in eighth grade and I'm fourteen so I hope I can help you a bit!

1. School Topics: I'm in advanced classes, so in freshman year of high school I'm pretty sure most kids are learning Algebra 1, or Geometry if they are advanced, World Cultures, a language of some sort, a fun elective, Biology or Honors Biology, English or Honors English, and of course Gym.
2. Fashion: Girls: Very tight jeans, a tight tank top with a loose shirt over that only goes to their stomachs and shows their bra straps, Uggs, Converse, or Keds, and dyed hair that is auborn or a weird carmel color.
Guys: Tight jeans that they sag way too low, big tee shirts, expensive sneakers designed by famous athletes, and some of them wear weird sports socks that go halfway to their knees.
3. Music: Justin Beiber, One Direction, Taylor Swift. The guys like Dubstep. My group of friends likes Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance.
4. Entertainment: Go to the movies, go to the mall, hang out downtown in the parking lots. The guys skatebord and the girls watch them. My friends and I play Dungeons and Dragons, bake, and felt small furry creature, but we are kind of abnormal. :)
5. Catch Phrases: Thats what she said, YOLO, Bro, Bra, Sup?, and Swag.
6. Problems: Felling insecure is a big thing with some of the girls in my grade. My friends and I get called nerd or geek sometines. My gay friends get called worse things. People my age are also really cliquey, and there is a lot of subtle bullying and outcasting.

Hope this helped!
"So what? All writers are lunatics!"
-Cornelia Funke, Inkspell

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:26 pm
euristatum says...

1. School: Math: Algebra II. History: World history. Mainly the development of countries.
2. Fashion: Denim Short shorts, floral patterns, studs, strapless shirt, ripped jeans, pastels, BOWS!, blondes, long hair, different colored hair, neon bras under white baggy tank tops, animals
3. Music: Katy Perry, One Direction, Rihanna, Justin Bieber, Modestep, Skrillex, Pierce the veil, Nicki Manaj,
4. Entertainment: books, movies, mall, fandoms, TV, hunger games, the host, beautiful creatures, volley ball, beach, reading, shopping, magazines, fashion, watching guys play sports, volunteer work, animals,
5. Catch phrases: I'd tap that, NO dip SHerlock, thats what she said, YOLO, screw you
6. Problems: insecure about your weight looks talents, cutting, suicide, figuring out your identity, what you want to do with your life, boyfriends, making friends, grades, religion, the way you act and dress and getting made fun of it, your family, money, divorce, getting pregnant, being gay or bi, your crush doesn't like you, getting cheated on, throwing up your food.

Good luck! keep writing!

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:17 pm
Stori says...

Yo, I'm not a gal, but can I weigh in with some Christian artists? For a while it seemed rock was the most prominent genre- see Casting Crowns and Skillet- but there are some great acoustic artists too: Jamie Grace, Francesca Batistelli and Brandon Heath to name a few.

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs