z

Young Writers Society

Sterility

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:03 pm
Stori says...

I need some help here people. What could cause a girl to become sterile? As in, not able to have kids?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:35 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Ovarian cysts can do that, I believe.

Saw that in an article somewhere...
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:41 pm
Alainna says...

Ovarian Cysts are a big cause of infertility. Some treatments for certain Cancers can also lead to fertility problems.

Try looking in medical encyclopedias for more information on this sort of thing.

All the best,

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:28 pm
Stori says...

I'm not a medical student. What's an ovarian cyst?

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:44 pm
J_Fang says...

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/ovarian_cysts/article_em.htm
^^Pretty much every thing you could ever want to know about ovarian cysts.
**Also I only read the first page, so I can't say if any of the other 15 have any graphic images on them ::sorry::**

And yes, they can with out a doubt, cause infertility and even when they don't it makes it much harder for a woman to become pregnant.

My youngest sister (who is still 9 years older than I am) has them and is unable to become pregnant. She found out when she was 16 and was totally devastated. (She also has a host of medical issues that is just...yeah...) She was depressed about it for a bit, but she is actually the strongest person I know (hence my view on strong female characters) and so she didn't let it get her down for long.

My other and yet older still sister (i think born in 67?) has recently developed them, although she still has the potential to have children her chances have been reduced like 60-80% I believe.

The yellow dye in Mountain Dew; Mellow Yellow; Surge can cause sterility in surprisingly LOW doses. (A friend that is a chemical engineer at Intel confirmed that.)

Obesity can cause sterility in men and women, I forget how exactly, but I'm sure if you googled it you could find out.

I pulled up this web site: http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Female-Sterility.html
And here are things it listed.
Female infertility due to physical disability
Female infertility may be due to physical defects, physical debility, and functional faults. Sterility due to physical debility can result from poor health as a consequence of certain acute or chronic diseases. Complaints like gonorrhoea, syphilis, and inflammation of the fallopian tubes also come under this category.

Other causes of female infertility
Chronic anaemia, constipation, and leucorrhoea aggravate these conditions. Sterility may also be caused by loss of essential glands or organs of reproduction, or a decrease in their functions. Obesity or emaciation due either to dietetic errors or faulty metabolism are other factors which call contribute to female infertility.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:32 am
banhammer says...

Stori wrote:I need some help here people. What could cause a girl to become sterile? As in, not able to have kids?

Sexual abuse, giving birth with complications, serious infections, cancer in the ovaries, hormonal disenballence and birth defects.
Not to mention radiation and of corse, cirgury.

I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts.
— Orson Welles