Recovery time

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:01 pm
Rosendorn says...

I'm wondering what the recovery time for the following injuries are:

Dislocated shoulder.
Fractured shoulder
Bruised bones (hip, ribs, arm, shoulder)
Twisted knee
Dislocated elbow

My character is pretty healthy and a fast healer. Do not put in a variable for magic unless surgery would be needed to repear the bone/join.

Thank you!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:43 pm
Fishr says...

Your question(s) are nothing short but variables, meaning it depends on the given person. For example, I'm forever mending my body or waiting for it to mend itself. I do have a reasonable amount of tolerance to high amounts of physical pain, although it seems the minor ones force me to complain than say, surgery?

Since I'm always hurt with some sort of injury, I've grown accustomed to annoyance. Thus some injuries will never heal because somewhere in the past, I guess I permanately tore something.

Bruised bones (hip, ribs, arm, shoulder)
Twisted knee

Yep, I've shattered my knee as well as my ankle, the ankle being the worst of the two injuries. Neither have healed properly. My ankle; it has been well over six years, and it still bothers me every so often. I badly sprained it in three different locations: the Achillies Tendon, ankle itself and the top of my foot. My right knee, well, I'm not quite sure the nature of that injury or how I damaged the muscle. Even so, on the unexpected occasion, I'll feel a "pop" or "something shift out of alignment" in the region of my kneecap. Thus, for both I have an ace bandage.

Bruised ribs, arms, chest, shins, legs, yadda yadda... I've done it all, pfft. You name the body part, I've probably have bruised it if not mildly, terriably for sure. The most painful was when I bruised my sternum. My God! It was the type of pain that you never, EVER, forget. I was fifteen and completely remember the nature of such discomfort. Full recovery was about three weeks.

Fell on my neck once, reaching for a frisbee that landed on top of the roof. I was dropped accidently and I hit a tree root; it connected at the back of my neck. Pain was a little less mild compared to the sternum injury but full recovery took a month.

This year, my latest injury was again to the neck and shoulder. Wow, was that ever a pain in the arse! Very annoying and as far as how much it hurt? I rate it as an 8, being 10 the most hurtful. Man, I'll never forget that injury, yikes! Recovery was a consective six days. Night and day, I was in absolute pain.

Need I go on further? ;) My body is a roadmap of scars and injuries.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:54 pm
Rosendorn says...

Ouch! Not fun. Badly twisted ankles are the only tendon/bone/joint related thing I've gotten.

So, dislocated shoulder I'm mostly wondering about. If you've read my "thrown off a horse" thread you'll know how she lands, but here it is again:

Thrown from horse from standing/walk
Lands on shoulder, knows how to land for minimal injury
Slides along ground a short distance

I have a good idea how much that will hurt her arm, and thanks for the bruised bone info.

What I'm really wondering is the complete recovery time for a dislocated shoulder, and how long it will hurt for, preferably with a high pain tolerance.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees.
— Pablo Neruda