z

Young Writers Society

The 1920's

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:14 pm
View Likes
CastlesInTheSky says...

I've recently started a novel set in 1920's England, as those of you who've been browsing Other Fiction lately will know. I've done my own research on Google and whatnot, but I'm not very good at finding the right sites.

If any of you have info/websites/snippets of that time period in Britain - the society, the fashions, the different classes - then I would be very grateful to have them. The story is mainly about a working-class girl. If you're looking for specifics, ask away.

Thank you so much!

-Sarah
Had I the heavens embroider'd cloths,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I being poor, have only my dreams,
So tread softly, for you tread on my life.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:45 pm
cassie17 says...

Try this website:

http://www.fashion-era.com/1920s_life_b ... e_wars.htm

Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

-Cassie
"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

I am hopelessly addicted to Disney music from the classic animated films.

"In a world of my own, everyone would have a dozen bluebirds."

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:34 am
Twit says...

Try "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and some of PG Wodehouse's books for the fiction side.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:17 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

My novel is set in England 1930, but they're not too far off. I may, however, be covering a completely different social structure than you. Perhaps if you have some more specific questions, if you PMed them to me I may/may not be able to answer them? I have to do some research as well. :) If I find any books that I think might help you, I'll be sure to send the titles along the way!

A few good movies I know of:

Gosford Park - More of a show of the social classes. It's real interesting.
The Bright Young Things - This is a personal favorite. Probably won't help you, but still a lovely film.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Once here on Young Writers Society, in chat, chickens wanted variety. They complained to Nate and after debate became funky orangutans silently.
— Mea