z

Young Writers Society

Airports?

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:55 pm
LolitaRose says...

I've never actually *been* to an airport. However, my story needs an airport scene to move along. So, would anyone mind helping me? I'm sure some of you have flown before. So, in general, I need how luggage works, how you use a ticket when you've bought one in advance, getting on the plane, and other basic info. I'm pretty clueless. ^.^; I'm only thirteen, and my family's in a dead little town, so we only drive. Thank you!

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:48 am
scotty.knows says...

Hey, no problem. I know a kajillion people who've never been in an airport.

The airport is essentially a huge mall wherever you go. Just imagine a mall, with security checkpoints.

I don't know if you've ever been on a military base, but it's a lot like getting into a restricted area, or a regulated one.

In the main lobby, the wall opposite the large windows that look out into the parking lot/dropoff area is covered with airline company kiosks.

More later...
'Merikuh!

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:12 pm
Fishr says...

You're welcome. Anything else I can help you with?

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) Let's see...

how you use a ticket when you've bought one in advance,
When your row is called, you step up to your Gate and show the Stuartist your ticket. On it, the ticket has important information such as the arrival and departure times of your flight. It also has where your first took off, assuming you had to switch gates. It shows your desired destination and if you had switched terminals. There's more but I can't think at the moment. To purchase a ticket though, it's manditory by Federal Law that you need to present a picture ID and if leaving the country, a picture ID and Pass. If all looks good, the Stuartist will allow you to board the plane. They usually board about forty or so minutes before take off. It's a general rule to be at your Gate two hours ahead of time though. And of course, if your flight is delayed or canceled, then things really get interesting and annoying... Humph!

getting on the plane

Wait paitently until your row is called over the intercalm. This info can be found usually in the top, right-hand corner or bottom of your ticket. If by some chance your row is basically at the end, like Z-40 or something like that, you'll hear, "All remaining rows may board now, all remaining rows." Your seat number can also be found on your ticket.

About luggage, what do you need to know? Are you referring about claiming luggage or stowing it?

I have to say the security measures is a real pain in the butt. However, I understand completely. Do you need to know about security too?
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:58 am
Ducati says...

Well, there is a lot of waiting around. You go to front desk with your ticket and passport, wait in line then when you get to thr front, they weigh you luggage and send it off on a little conveyor belt. You have a small ammount of luggage which you can take on the plane. Then you go to the boarding gate and wait till your plane is ready to board. This can take awhile, so you can do some shopping while you wait! They announce your flight is ready to board over the loadspeaker or they have televison screens that show you. Oh, and before you go to your gate, you get security screened. You bag gets x-rayed and you have to go through a metal detector. Before you get on the flight you must show your passport and ticket.
Fun Fact: At heathrow airport in London, if you leave your luggage unattended, they blow it up!

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:12 am
Fishr says...

Yes but with security now and days, before you pass through the metel detector, wallet, keys, coins in pocket, even glasses sometimes must be placed in the box on the convayer belt for them to scan (X-Ray your stuff) as well as shoes must now come off and put in the box. After it goes through the nifty X-Ray machine, collect said junk and put your shoes back on. Same goes with a backpack. It goes in the box, even if you plan to stow it under your seat.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:40 pm
andimlovegalore says...

The airports I've been to (Liverpool, Manchester, Barcelona, Paris), I always bought my ticket in advance. You wait in a big queue to show your ticket and your passport to someone, and they put a sticker on your luggage and put it through this weird conveyer belt thing to be put on the plane. It just disappears through a little door in the wall and I think people put it on the plane outside.

then you go through some doors, probably there's another big queue, and there's some shops and stuff. You have to find your terminal (i.e. gate) on a big screen, and then you go through to that terminal when they call for your flight.

You have to go through a metal detector there, you take off your jacket and shoes, and anything metal in your pockets, and any bags you have with you and put them on a conveyer belt that goes through an x-ray machine to see if you have a bomb in your bag >.< Now you can't even carry little bottles like makeup or anything, in case it's acid I don't know. When I went to Paris some girl I was with got all her makeup taken off her because she forgot to put it in a little baggy.

Then you go through to the waiting room, and through a weird tunnel most of the time to get to the plane.

Mostly airports are pretty big and airy and tiled or lino floored, and they smell of new and kind of nasty like people are going through there a lot that are scared or tired or annoyed. Planes smell of bad food and sick haha. Planes always make me sick =[

OH and you should totally read this from Dirk Gently by Douglas Adams:
It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the phrase, 'as pretty as an airport.' Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:15 pm
LolitaRose says...

Thank you ALL for your help! ^.^ It was very useful, and provided a lot of info that I needed. So, again, thanks!

Oh, and about makeup, so say if you needed foundation, would you be able to take that on the plane? My character tends to wear it everywhere, so that would sorta...suck.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:26 pm
Rosendorn says...

You are only allowed to take 125 ml of liquid on a plain. Anything more won't make it past security. If it's cake, then it's probably fine. Unless the brushes has something that's even remotly shaped like a point, then it won't get past.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:45 pm
andimlovegalore says...

You can take it ON a plane, but only in a little baggy. Or in your other luggage.

Meatball, meatball, spaghetti underneath; ravioli, ravioli, great barrier reef!
— Spongebob