z

Young Writers Society

Fish hook type object...

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:56 am
.:Elf:. says...

Ok, so I need to know what the side effects might be have having a fish hook type object in your arm. I mean like way in there, and not taking it out. Would that person survive? What would happen to them? The fish hook type object is basically a marble sized object with barbs sticking from it.

Thanks

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:09 am
Medusa says...

You can get Tetanus, a infection from metal, that causes muscle paralysm. You can also get an abscess which is a skin disease.
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:56 pm
Rosendorn says...

Some more side effects could include tearing of muscle tissue, internal bleeding, severe bruising (for reasons above) high risk of infection from having an open wound, external bleeding that won't stop and the annoyance of having a metal object in your arm!

I would think that at first it would be very tender, and then it would slowly (or quickly, depending on how much it got moved) progress to the symptoms above.

I thought Tetanus was only for rusted metal....
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:14 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

What would happen once you removed the object... I have something like that in my piece as well. Would there be permanent muscle damage or what?
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1272 Reviews

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:18 pm
Rosendorn says...

Ummm, depends on where it is and the age of the person. If they have stopped growing then permanent damage is more likely, and if it's on their bicep then severe damamge is more likely then if it's on their forearm or something.

That's what I think, anyway.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:39 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

It's in their back and they're about 14... but they aren't human so I guess I can make up random healing powers (ugh, deus ex machina, right?)

Thank you :)
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1272 Reviews

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

No problem! And I think deus ex machina a fantasy writer's standby.

Can't resist posting this: I was browsing through amazon.com and I found a book called: Body Trauma: A Writer's Guide to Wounds and Injuries. For those of us that don't have the deus ex machina option, this might come in handy.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:47 pm
.:Elf:. says...

Thanks! Yeah, its gonna be fun writing that bit...

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:58 am
scotty.knows says...

You would probably get an infection, unless you bathe it in alcohol or hydrogen peroxide daily. Seeing as your name is :elf: I'm going to take a big chance (not really that big) and assume you're in a fantasy world. Alcohol is still around for fantasy worlds.

I'd have them soak that sucker with booze to keep it clean.

Also, it wouldn't tear any muscles unless it got caught in them. I've received multiple stab wounds and lacerations before and I've never had any real muscle damage. You can still tear a few fibers without getting in too much trouble. It would still get really swollen and nasty, but they wouldn't lose the use of their arm if they got it in their shoulder, for instance.

What I've done for fishhook wounds- and what is generally accepted as the best route- is to push the fishook through until the barb comes out of the skin, then you cut the barb off and pull the now barbless hook back through the wound. I've done it before to myself, so it's obviously not impossible. Your character just needs to steel their self up and ignore all the pain signals coming through to their brain. They might throw up from the stress, but they'll get it done.

Remember, people are durable little critters. They can take a remarkable amount of damage and keep on ticking. I am living proof of that very truth.

Hope I was helpful.
'Merikuh!

Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.
— Roy T. Bennett